~23~

Jim heard a loud scream come from the bathroom as he was about to bring his coffee cup to his lips.
He quickly drops the cup and rushes into Ember's bedroom. Without hesitation he throws open the bathroom door and looks around for Ember.
The shower is running and the room is filled with steam.

Jim looks into the shower and he trails his eyes down until they land on Ember's body curled up in a ball on the floor.
He frowns as he looks at her.

"Ember," Jim speaks as he crouches down in front of the glass door of the shower. Jim isn't sure if he should just open up the shower and pull her into his arms or if that would be disrespectful since she's naked.

Ember let's out a cry and she slaps the hard marble tile as she cries into her knees.

Jim takes a deep breath and stands up, his hand quickly goes to open the shower door.
He steps into the shower with Ember even though he's fully clothed, he doesn't care he just wants to pull her into his embrace.

"Ember," Jim repeats as he sits down beside her.

Ember's sobbing increases and Jim scoops her up and sets her against his lap as he holds her close.

"Hey. It's okay," Jim comforts her as he strokes her wet hair.

Ember sobs as she clings onto Jim's drenched and now stretched out shirt.
Jim rests his chin on top of Ember's head, boxing her into his embrace.

"It's going to be okay," Jim says as he keeps his eyes focused on the wall.

"Jim. I-, why? Why did they have to look at me like that?" Ember sobs into Jim's chest.

"Like what?" Jim asks as his eyebrows furrow, "and who?"

"The men," Ember whispers as she wipes at her eyes.

Jim realizes what she is talking about and he stokes her back.

"They can't hurt you anymore. You're safe. I won't let anyone disrespect you like that again," Jim says as Ember continues her crying.

"I don't know why you like me. I'm a whore," Ember whispers as she hides her face.

"One, you are not a whore. Not even close. You're not, and nothing you do will change my mind. Two, I don't like you, I love you, so much," Jim speaks firmly as he plants a kiss on Ember's head.

Ember doesn't reply she just snuggles into Jim and focuses on calming her breathing so that she doesn't hyperventilate.

So many things are swirling through her mind. She doesn't know why she was stupid enough to allow toxic people like the three men into her life.
She doesn't understand why she let them groom her and talk dirty to her when she was just a child.
Just a child who wasn't ready to lose that kind of innocence.

Ember feels more tears flow out of her eyes as she holds onto Jim.
Jim has become the one man in her life who she feels like she can trust romantically. She knows he would never hurt her or talk down to her or treat her like others have.

"It's okay baby. I've got you," Jim speaks as he brushes her hair out of her eyes.

Jim lifts Ember's chin and she frowns as she tries to hide her face from him.
Jim pulls her face back up to his and he wipes her tears.

"I love you," Jim repeats as he kisses Ember's forehead.

"I love you too," Ember whispers, her voice sore and ridged.

Ember snuggles into Jim and tries to calm her mind.
She feels disgusting and angry.

"Don't scrub so hard," Jim mutters as he lightly touches Ember's bright red arms.