PT 28

Rain drummed and dripped out their window, the gentle sounds creating white noise that disturbed the silence of the apartment. The sky outside oscillated between the dark of night and the hazy, melancholic blue light of very early morning (a light that was darkened by the grey clouds that drizzled rain).
Aizawa lay in the dark, curled up slightly beside Hizashi's sleeping form. Aizawa stared tiredly at Hizashi's face, his gaze gently tracing every feature. His heartrate was gradually slowing the more he looked, having mere moments before been jolted to a racing pace by a nightmare.
Many movies would depict waking up from a nightmare as someone suddenly shooting up in bed, hyperventilating. That type rarely applied to Aizawa. His eyes might shoot open, yes, but his body stayed still (ignoring the slow shaking). He'd lay there, stuck for a moment in a paralysing grip of anxiety and fear, too scared to even breathe at times. On the rare occasion he shot up, he immediately assumed a defensive stance, years of Hero instinct taking over the fear that would have otherwise held him down.
On this particular occasion, his eyes had merely fluttered open and a sharp breath escaped him, but he otherwise made no motion. Some creeping dread ate at him when it came to looking around the room, so he instead kept his eyes on Hizashi.
Anxiety...he grimaced internally. It was a thing he struggled with, of course. He fully knew it could be debilitating, and that it was nothing to be embarrassed by. However, a cruel part of him criticised the fear, ranting on and on about how such a disorder could get him killed.
He thought of it even as he looked upon his beloved's face, though the actual anxious sensation lessened as he looked. Unfortunately, the face of one's lover was not a cure to such an affliction.
He closed his eyes with a quiet yet deep sigh, focusing on the sound of the rain for a moment. Drip, drip, splash, splash...It was pleasing at first, setting a soft mood and reminding him of many pleasant nights. However, the sound began to grow upsetting. What if there really was an intruder in the apartment, like his body eagerly tried to warn him, and the rain sounds were hiding their footsteps?
He bit his lip and silently, in a slow motion, slid his hand under his pillow and pulled a knife out from underneath. Hizashi kept his own self-defence weapon in the drawer of his nightstand, but Aizawa wanted his to be nearby at all times. He kept his motions slow, just in case the intruder was in their room — he didn't want to alert them to his actions, as that would cost him the element of surprise.
His stomach clenched with anticipation of a fight as he slowly slid out the side of the bed, falling in a controlled motion onto the floor. On all fours, he glanced under the bed. No one, nothing except for the hint of cat eyes underneath. He nodded slightly to himself before sitting up on his knees, looking over the bed to survey the room. He went back on all fours and crawled around the bed, surveying the room now from the floor. No one. The hairs on the back of his neck still stood up.
He slowly got up and slid open the door from their bedroom to the rest of the apartment, keeping to the walls of the hall as he moved down the hallway. He inspected each room carefully. There was no one. It was just a nightmare, just a feeling.
Aizawa almost always checked when he got such a sensation. Even if there was only 1 in 10 times where something was actually wrong, he'd rather check unnecessarily 9 times than not be ready on that one special time.
This just happened to be one of the 9 times. He made his way back to bed and curled up in bed again, trying his best not to wake Hizashi.
He stared at his fiancé's face for a moment longer before slowly closing his eyes and letting the strange mood of the early A.M.s drag him back towards sleep. The cat climbed out from beneath the bed and lay between the two, and the night drifted on into the morning light as rain played a tune outside.