Pt 26

When they arrived back at the main school building, Shōta tensed. He had proposed, which was an open thing. Now everyone was going to be involved in their relationship, even more so than before. He loved Hizashi—god, he loved Hizashi—but he was still protective of him. He didn't want to share their love with the world. Though, strangely enough, he was a little more open to it after seeing Hizashi's stupid grin as he admired the ring. It was a simple ring, nothing ornate, but Hizashi loved it nonetheless.
        The question in Shōta's mind now was 'how is this going to work out?' Everyone was going to find out, at one point or another. The real question was who will be told first. Shōta asked Hizashi this as they walked down the halls.
       "Everyone, duh!" Hizashi replied. Shōta stared at him.
       "Yes, but who first?"
        "All of them at once?" Hizashi suggested.
        "All of the staff, all the school, all of Japan, or all of the world?" Shōta retorted.
       "All the world?" Hizashi grinned, his eyebrows going up hopefully. Shōta exhaled sharply in what could have been a controlled laugh. Hizashi turned back to look at the ring, twisting it around his finger and smiling. Hizashi looked back at Shōta. "Hey, babe?"
        Shōta sighed, slightly peeved at the pet name while they were at school. "Yeah?"
       "You're my number one hero." Shōta tensed at the compliment, cheesy or not. He glanced at Hizashi, hoping to glean an explanation. Hizashi gave him one, "You were really brave to propose. I mean, it was a given I was going to say yes, but...it takes courage to ask. It takes courage to be vulnerable. Especially for you. That's something I admire so much about you. You're willing to go out of your comfort zone, no matter how much it scares you. I wish I could be half as brave as you," Hizashi smiled softly, taking Shōta's hand in his, causing the two to stop on their path. "I love you so much." Shōta blushed, but he didn't glance away no matter how much his embarrassment made him want to. He looked into his boyf--no, fiancé--'s eyes.                                      "Hizashi..." he mumbled. "You...I love you, too." Hizashi hugged him. "I'm still your number one listener, right?" Shōta whispered, making Hizashi chuckle.
        "Of course, honey." They parted, though it was for a short time because Hizashi quickly grabbed his hand. They walked down the hallway, holding hands, discussing how and who they were going to tell what when. Hizashi daydreamed about Shōta in a suit at their wedding.