Chapter Fifteen

~Rayne's P.O.V~

I woke up alone, the bed empty and a certain someone missing. A slight frown settled on my face as I rubbed the sleep from my eyes. I wasn't sure how long I'd slept, but it was some of the best sleep I'd had in god knows how long. Groaning at the slight throbbing in my head, I stretched my limbs. A soreness between my legs brought sinful memories back to the forefront of my mind, a slight heat settling over my body.

Kaine had done a number on me and I'd be lying if I said, I didn't love every single second of it. He was hands down the best I had ever been with and I secretly hoped it wasn't the only time I'd get to experience that with him. Maybe not so soon like this time, but somewhere down the road. I was still a little bothered that after all of that I woke up by myself, but I figured he had to get up early for work or something. At least, that was what I was telling myself in attempt to not seem like a clingy bitch. I didn't want to seem like one of those desperate bitches after a hookup.

Throwing the covers off of me, I decided to get up. I didn't want to put my dress back on, but I didn't want to just steal Kaine's clothes either. With a sigh, I peeled off the comfortable clothes he gave me and slipped back into my dress and heels. I sauntered over to the bathroom and took a quick glance at my reflection. I grimaced at the woman staring back at me. My hair was all but completely out of the bun I wore to bed and my neck was littered in dark bruises. Evidence of the explicit nature of what we did, sent shivers through me. I could already hear Sydnei interrogating me when we got back home.

I turned on the sink faucet and rinsed my face before sticking my hair under the steady stream of water at the last minute. I wanted to make myself look somewhat presentable when I walked out of his room. After wringing my hair out, I quickly threw it back up into a messy bun. With another look at myself, I was satisfied with my appearance enough and walked back into the bedroom.

After folding his clothes up and leaving them on the edge of the bed, I trudged over to the nightstand. I grabbed my phone, noticing the low battery icon in the notification bar and groaned. There was also a text waiting for me. I opened the message after seeing Kaine's name attached to it.

I smiled at the little emojis he used but locked my phone without responding.

I'll text him when we get to the car, I thought.

I got to the door of the bedroom and exited it in search of my friend. I made my way back to the room I found her in last night, but it was empty. The bed was made, and clothes sat folded at the foot of it. Figuring she must've been downstairs, I walked down the hall to the staircase and made my descent down. I heard voices coming from nearby and followed them to a massive kitchen.

My dream was always to have a home with a huge farmhouse styled kitchen like the one I found myself standing at the entrance of. One big enough for all of my baking and family dinners with the kids I one day hoped to have, running around, licking the icing from my mixing bowls and sneaking treats off of the counters when I had my back turned. I'd always wanted a family of my own, even at a young age. Not a family like the one I grew up in, cold and uninviting. I couldn't recall a single happy memory I had as a child with my family in the kitchen, or at dinner, or at home at all. Collin and I had talked about all of this way back in the beginning of our relationship, and now look at us. He was getting everything I had ever wanted... Just not with me. It amazed me how after a year that piece a shit still had a way of crawling into my thoughts.