Chapter Five

“Hi..” I murmured, a small blush creeping up on my cheeks as his eyes travelled the length of my body.

          “Hi, yourself.” He responded, taking a step closer. “so why aren’t you getting that dress?” he repeated.

         “Because I don’t want to just settle on buying the first thing I see. I want to look around for a little while. You know?” I explained partly.

           It was a half-truth because yes I wanted to look around first, but I also knew I wouldn’t be buying that dress no matter how much I liked it because the price was just a little too steep for my liking. Of course, I wasn’t going to tell him that though. He nodded his head in understanding and his brown locks flopped onto his forehead. He ran his hand through his hair, putting the loose pieces back into place, before reaching down to intertwine his fingers with mine. A small shock jolted me down to my fingertips at his touch and heat rose to my cheeks. His rough calloused hand gently held mine in his. Our hands fit together like puzzle pieces--like they were made to be together all along and my heart did summersaults in my chest.

           “Is this okay with you?” he asked, looking down at our locked fingers and back up at me with a worried look in his eyes.

          “Yes,” I answered shyly and I cursed myself for not trying out dating again until now. I felt so rusty in interacting with the male species and I hated how shy I felt and sounded and I’m sure I looked that way as well. It was different carrying on a conversation at my job. That bar was my security blanket and talking was a  part of the job, how I made my money. Here, in this clothing store, it was just us. No sidework or drinks to be made; just two people talking and feeling each other out. It was nerve wracking but it was also thrilling all at the same time.

          We made our way over to a rack of cute shirts and I thumbed through the rack with my free hand. He was silent, as I picked out a few tops that I liked. He watched me the whole time, studying my face as I tried to decide between two similar shirts. I couldn’t settle on one and I knew my face was a dead giveaway, as I kept flipping between the two.

            “I like the purple one, if that helps.” He offered quietly. I looked at it thoughtfully before pulling it from the rack.

          “I do too, so purple it is then.” I decided, nodding in agreement.

            He smiled softly down at me and I returned the smile before moving on to the next rack which was loaded with jeans. I quickly grabbed a few pairs in my size, not wanting him to see just how big my pants size was and threw them over my arm. I wasn't a very big girl, but I hips and thick thighs. He let go of my hand briefly to grab the clothing from my tired arm and I blushed, muttering a thank you sheepishly. I found a few pairs of shorts on the next rack and decided I’d done enough damage in the store before heading to the register to pay for my stuff. I paid for my stuff, grabbed my bags from Sarah and he took my hand in his again as we left.

           “come hai imparato I’italiano?” (So how did you learn Italian?) He asked and his accent set a fire low in my belly. The way it rolled off of his tongue, was doing unspeakable things between my thighs. It had to be the most attractive thing on the planet and I almost forgot his question.

          “Ho studiato lingue straniere ascuola per un paio d’anni prima de transferirmi qui.” (I studied foreign languages in school for a couple years before I moved here.) I explained before adding, “Italian was my favorite and I just took to it better than any other language aside from Spanish. Voglio davvero visitare I’italia un giorno.” (I really want to visit Italy someday.) I admitted as we walked down the strip of stores to the nail salon.

          “Your pronunciation is perfect and I’ve gotta say, hearing you speak it in person has got to be my new favorite sound. Italy is beautiful, you’d fit right in.” He complimented and I beamed at the praise. When we reached the entrance to the salon, I paused looking at him questioningly.

          “Are you actually coming inside?” I asked with an arched brow and he chuckled, shaking his head.

          “No, I’ve got to make a few business calls but I will wait for you out here with your bags while you’re inside. If I’m finished with my calls before you’re done, would you be okay with me coming inside to wait?”

          “Oh,okay. Thank you, Kaine. You know you don’t have to wait if you’ve got other things to do, I’ll be okay.” I rushed. “I don’t want to keep you fr—” he cut me off with a finger pressed to my lips.

           “Il mio amore, I’ve got all the time in the world. I just need to check up on a few things, okay? I will definitely be here when you get done with your nails.” (My love) He assured me in a soft tone, staring down at me.

             His eyes darted to my lips and back up quickly; so fast that I would’ve missed it if I hadn’t been staring at him. Watching his mouth form words, both English and Italian was sexy and intriguing with those kissable lips. Just thinking about the way his full pink lips would feel on mine had taken all of the air in my lungs, longing and wanting so badly for him to kiss me. My tongue darted out to wet my lips before I spoke again.

          “Okay.” I breathed out, “I won’t be long, I promise.”