Chapter Ten

~Rayne’s P.O.V~

          With a little difficulty, I managed to drag Sydnei inside. Pausing just beyond the doorway, I took a moment to take in our surroundings. I looked around to find that we were in a spacious office. I mean the space was almost the size of my bedroom, almost. Who needed that big of an office? All of the décor was dark, it was neat, and organized. It had to be his office. To the left of the door, sat a black leather futon. I assumed Kaine had probably spent his fair share of long nights here and the futon served as a place for him to rest on occasion.

         I stopped gaping at the room and quickly led my best friend over to the comfortable looking futon, as the consciousness slowly dwindled from her eyes. I turned her onto the side, facing me while I brushed her damp hair out of her face. It clung to her forehead and cheek like it was glued to her clammy skin. My body was racked with guilt and concern for my closest friend.

          “Hang on, babygirl. Okay? Kaine is bringing you some water, just stay with me.” I cooed, my voice growing thick as tears filled my eyes. I think I was trying to reassure myself more than I was her. I just wanted her to be okay.

         “I just want to close my eyes, the room is spinning.” She slurred, her eyelids heavy.

          I grabbed her chin, forcing her to look at me. Her face was hot and her skin, tacky-feeling. It reminded me of when she had gotten the flu the year before. With the flu her, skin was translucent like parchment paper and her hair appeared greasy from sweating out her fever. That was the last time I’d seen her look that bad, up until this night. Her eyes rolled around, no focus in her stare whatsoever.

          “Sydnei, I am so sorry I left you with that guy. I just wanted you to have fun. I should’ve never pushed you to go with him. This is all my fault and I’m just so fucking sorry. But you’re gonna be okay, you hear me? You’re gonna be just fine. I’m going to get you home in a little bit and get you into bed, so you can rest. And tomorrow when you wake up, you’re gonna be good as new.” I sobbed, pressing my forehead to hers with my eyes closed as hot tears trailed down my face. I was so ashamed in my judgment of that stupid prick. He seemed like a decent guy who showed interest in Sydnei and I just wanted her to have fun. I didn’t want her to not enjoy her night because she didn’t want to leave me by myself.

          I pulled back slightly to look at her, and my eyes widened in horror. Her eyes were rolling back in her head so all I could see were the whites of them, her pupils out of sight. Her body began convulsing and shaking uncontrollably. I wasn’t sure if I should be expecting her to get sick, I didn’t know what to be expecting at all actually, so I snagged the small trash can located beside the L-shaped desk across the room. I hurriedly placed it by her head and took a small step back, my hand covering my mouth. My sobs grew until I was all but gasping for air.
           All I could do, was watch her body seizing right in front of me on that futon. I tried holding her still but to no avail. I wished so desperately that there was something, anything I could do to help her. I debated calling an ambulance,  when her body stopped convulsing. I took in a shaky breath of relief and placed a hand on her chest. Her heartbeat was fast and strong but  nonetheless, it was there, thank god. I wasn’t exactly certain about what was normal in this situation, but as long as she was breathing and her heart was beating, that had to be a good thing. Right?

“Sydnei? Wake up, please. Wake up!” I cried into her neck, my tears flowing rapidly down onto her pale skin.

          I grabbed her shoulders, willing her to open her eyes or at the very least say something. She didn’t crack open an eye and her mouth was slightly open, deep breaths exhaling from her lips. Kaine, where the fuck are you?! I shook her limp body, sobs racking my entire frame, but she didn’t get up. I pulled at my hair, pacing back and forth and panic rose into my chest.

           What if she doesn’t wake up? What if this puts her into a coma? What if she never knows how sorry I am? This is all that motherfucker’s fault. That fucking prick drugged my best friend… I pushed her to go dance with him and who knows how many other women he’s done this to, or worse! I’ll kill him. If Syd doesn’t come out of this okay, I will rip him apart with my bare hands.