Chapter Six

The moment I walked in the door, I knew I was in for a long night. Sydnei had music blaring from the bluetooth speakers in the living room, dancing around in a towel using her hairbrush as a microphone as she belted out the lyrics to her current favorite song. I silently thanked the stars above that we didn’t have any neighbors on either side of our apartment at the time.

          “IF YOU DON’T WANNA SEE ME, DANCING WITH SOMEBODY! IF YOU WANNA BELIEVE THAT ANYTHING CAN STOP ME! DON’T SHOW UP, DON’T GO OUT, DON’T START CARING ABOUT ME NOW—RAY SING IT WITH ME!” She sang, pausing when she noticed me standing there. She ran towards me and enveloped me in a hug. I cringed, the dampness from her towel touching my skin through my sweater. I shook my head and started walking with my new purchases towards my room.

           “Wait! What if I play something I know you’re gonna love? A little twerking music to get you hyped up? Or maybe some songs from our favorite band? Oh no, wait, I’ve got the perfect song!” she exclaimed, going to retrieve her phone from the coffee table.
            I rolled my eyes as I dropped my bags onto the plush carpet of my bedroom floor and pulled off my boots. I yanked my jeans down my thighs after throwing my phone onto the bed and kicked them off the rest of the way. I could hear the intro of the song she chose before the beat dropped and I immediately recognized the song and smiled. I walked out of my bedroom, my excitement growing with each step I took leading me back into the living room.

         “Breath me in, breath me out , I don’t know if I could ever go without. I’m just thinking out loud, I don’t know if I could ever go without, watermelon sugar high,” I began belting out the chorus, joining Sydnei in dancing around the room.

            We continued dancing and singing until the song finished and we were trying to catch our breaths. By the end of it, I was excited to go out with my best friend. We always had a  good time together and I needed to get out, live it up a little like she’d told me way too many times to count.

          While she blow-dried and styled her long brown hair, I returned to my room and emptied out all of the bags from the days mini shopping spree I had given myself, piling all of the articles of clothing onto my bed. I was trying to decide if I wanted to wear something I bought with Kaine or if I’d just wear something hanging up in my closet already. As I went through the small pile, I noticed something that I had distinctly remembered putting back on the rack. It was the dress that I had almost bought, and I wondered how it came to be in my possession.

           Realization dawned on me, as I picked up my phone and found his contact information. I hit the call button without another thought, and the line rang as I ran a hand through my hair and tapped my foot impatiently waiting for him to pick up; No answer. I hung up as his voicemail picked up and let out a frustrated huff. I didn’t know whether to be angry with him, or tell him thank you for the dress. Since he didn’t answer, I sent a quick text to him when I noticed that he still hadn’t responded to my previous message. I shrugged it off, figuring he must’ve had to work some more.

           R: Hey.. I saw the dress.. don’t know whether to hit you or thank you. I’m flattered at the gesture, but I told you I didn’t need your money and I meant it. Anyway, guess you’re busy or something, so ttyl.

          I locked my phone, throwing it onto my bed as I padded over to my closet. I decided to wear a light blue cut out body con dress. It hugged my curves just right, showing off my cleavage without being too slutty and it showcased a little bit of my sternum tattoo, the skull in the center of it playing peek-a-boo. I paired it with a simple gold, layered, choker necklace and switched out my gauges to a pair of opalescent plugs. I pulled out a pair of nude lace-up heels and sat them by my door before sauntering across the hall to the bathroom.

           I washed my face in the sink and stared at my reflection, pondering how I wanted to do my makeup. I didn’t wear a lot on my face usually; a little eyeliner, mascara and sometimes a light layer foundation, but never anything drastic. That contouring and highlighting shit was not my expertise and I had no desire to learn how to do it, but for some reason I wanted my make up kind of done like that for the occasion. I turned to Sydnei, who was applying a deep red matte lipstick to her lips, finishing off her look with a ‘pop’ as she smacked her lips together.

           A black, cropped, quarter-sleeved off the shoulder top and tight matching skirt adorned her figure, red pumps fastened around her ankles. My best friend was hot. Confidence just exuded from her. Her fair skin was heavily tattooed and her hair flowed downed her back in soft natural chocolate waves.