Job searching

YASMINE'S POV

I find myself strolling down the streets of the quaint little Mystic Falls with several copies of my CV in hand after Skyler gets the call to meet her family for lunch

I find myself strolling down the streets of the quaint little Mystic Falls with several copies of my CV in hand after Skyler gets the call to meet her family for lunch. I made it my personal mission to get hired today. Skyler basically had a job as a singer at the local grill and I needed a job. If we were going to live here, it would mean we had to get a job each to move out from that hotel room and into an actual apartment to pay for rent and food.

I had been trying for two hours and have had no luck. I have also been searching relentlessly over the net for the past day and I've not had any luck online either. I finally come across the bank that I've been looking for since I recalled a job posting from them wanting to hire a corporate lawyer.

I adjust my blazer and suck in a deep breath, entering the bank with a huge smile. I hold onto my smile as I hand over my CV, asking to apply for the job position and the receptionist smiles. She basically accepts my CV and then sends me on my way. I huff out in frustration as I leave the bank, my heart sinking slightly. I keep my gaze on the pathway, randomly kicking a couple of pebbles when I bump straight into a hard wall of muscle.

"Oof sorry-oh hey Stefan...and Damon." I groan when I see the two brothers appear in my view.

I am still slightly shaken up by Damon's attitude earlier this morning but of course now my dumbass is intrigued by this asshole. I'm still wondering how he moved that fast. It was mind blowing.

"Yasmine. How are you?" Stefan smiles widely and I find myself at ease with this man. An odd reason because I barely trust or open up to anyone. Which is why this entire thing is just beguiling. Why am I so at ease with a man I barely know and with a man who clearly screams danger despite his weird obsession with me? Nothing about this scenario makes any sense.

"Good, thanks. Been job hunting. I need a job fast or we will be out in the streets." I let out a dry laugh but somehow find myself staring at Damon when I say that. His eyes flash with something unreadable but just like that, it disappears.

"We will never let you go homeless." Damon confirms and I raise a questioning brow at him.

"I don't do charity handouts. Especially from my stalker." I shoot him a wry but poisoned smile.

Stefan raises a questioning brow at Damon who immediately raises his hand in surrender. He blows out a hot breath and rolls his eyes at his brother before focusing on me. "I'm sorry, my brother does not possess any manners. He's a dickhead, as you would say."

I laugh out loud at that. The way he said that was so strange, like he doesn't belong in this time but it still sounds hilarious coming from someone as sweet like him. But he's right, Damon is a dickhead. In fact, that's the understatement of the century.

Damon frowns and grumbles incoherently under his breath as I fall into an effortless bout of conversation. I watch as Damon leans against the lamp post, sulking and wallowing in his own self pity. I did feel kinda bad. Slightly.

"Anyways what do you work as?" Stefan asks as he gestures us towards the nearest cafe. He orders us three lattes and I thank him.

"I graduated with a college degree in law. I want to be a corporate lawyer and applied for the role with the bank." I gesture at the pristine white building opposite us and Stefan looks over at the bank, a slight smirk playing at his lips.

"Ah yes, the owner...is a friend of ours. I am sure I can pull some strings for you." He smiles at me warmly and I frown.

"Oh no, you don't have to do that. I want to get in on my own credit."

"And I commend that but you don't exactly have the luxury of time now do you?" He shoots back and I deflate in my seat. Damon has been silently watching our exchange this entire time as I chew on my bottom lip nervously. He's absolutely right. My savings are dwindling by the second and living in a hotel isn't cheap and am pretty certain living off crackers isn't viable.

Damon suddenly stands up with a mysterious smile on his face and I raise a questioning brow. "I think your silence is a yes." He quips back and I shake my head once again.

"No, I think I can handle this."

Damon shrugs nonchalantly. "I know you can but Stefan and I have to go now, sweetheart." He shoots a knowing glance at Stefan who tsks under his breath.

Damon leans forward, placing his hand on my chair, caging me in and my breath hitches. "I'll see you around, sweetheart."

I lean forward, our noses brushing from our close proximity as I shoot him another sarcastic smile. "You probably won't."

Damon scoffs out a laugh and pulls out with a smirk. He shoots me a cheeky wink and starts walking, leaving me with Stefan who shoots me an apologetic smile.

"He is an asshole." He comments and I laugh, shaking my head in amusement.

"Of course but I can handle him. Thanks for the coffee, I really did enjoy our chat." I smile genuinely at him and he returns me a genuine one as well.

"I did too, see you around." With that, he disappears down the road. My phone rings, snapping me back to reality. I see Skyler's name popping on my screen and I answer it on the second ring. "Hey girl, how was lunch?"

"It was great, actually. I really bonded with Grams and Bonnie and got an insight into our family's history. Grams doesn't know who my dad is though, which is odd. She does know that he is some powerful being and that mom was way too scared to delve into that information." She huffs out a sigh as I begin my slow walk towards our hotel. My phone vibrates once again but I ignore it when I can hear the dilemma in her voice.

"One step at a time, babe. We found your sister and grandmother and now that you know more about your family's history, we can work on harnessing that power to find your parents. Don't give up yet, babe. This is all new to us. Hell, a week ago, we were binging on Friends with tubs of ice cream completely unaware of all the supernatural in this world."

Silence overcomes us before she sighs out. "You're right, Yasmine. You always are."

A smile settles on my face as Sky delves into her lunch and my heart warms at how Bonnie and her grandmother have basically adopted her. She is in the midst of telling me another tale when my phone vibrates again. I excuse myself to quickly check my notification only to see a congratulations email from the owner of the bank. My heart sinks to my stomach as I press my phone to my ear just as Sky interrupts the silence.

"Yas? You okay? What's wrong?"

"I just got hired. I'm a corporate lawyer at the local bank..." I trail off. Fear and uncertainty settles in my stomach.

Sky gasps loudly and I hear her cheer. "Congrats Yas, holy shit that's amazing! But why do you sound so upset?"

"Because this isn't right."

"What do you mean this isn't right?" I hear the confusion in her voice.

"I will explain this to you in detail soon but how much do you know about the Salvatore brothers?"

She hums in response. "Not much. They are more of Elena's friends than Bonnie's apparently. They seem very closed off though and Damon is just creepy."

"And that's exactly why they are so dangerous."

———————————————————————
A/N: I finished my exams yesterday which means I will have more time to write!