nine

"So can someone please tell me why I got a 9-1-1 text at 8 o'clock at night?"

At the sound of Coop's voice I perk my head up from where I had plopped down face first on my bed.

"Um I would also like to know." Spencer adds.

Groaning I flip around on my back as I sit up slightly, resting on my elbows. "Can I not just want to hang out with my friends?" I ask innocently.

Spencer scoffs as he laughs, "Not likely."

"No."  Coop says dryly at the same time.

I gasp, offended that they think so lowly of me.

Coop rolls her eyes at my reaction, "There's always a catch with you." she says before throwing her body next to me, hitting my face with her elbow in the process. "Now tell Momma Coop what's going on?"

"I am appalled that you think of me that way. You act like I'm not capable of wanting to spend time with you guys." I scoff crossing my arms over my chest.

Spencer laughs at our playfulness from his seat on the floor in front of my bed.

She pushes my shoulder lightly as she snickers, "yeah right." Turning her body to face me she bats her eyelashes, "Carter, please tell me why you called us here."

I can feel myself giving in. She knows that the puppy dog eyes get me every time.

Letting out an overdramatic sigh I flip myself back onto my stomach, "I think I have a crush on Asher." I say meekly.

Silence.

I'm met with pure silence.

"Nope. I definitely have a crush on Asher."

Once again there's nothing.

I can't even hear anyone breathing. It's like all the sound in the room got sucked out the window and thrown away.

You know how those cheesy sitcoms have the loud laughs when someone does something funny and the crickets when the joke was bad?

Yeah well right now I feel as if I just told the worst joke ever on stage at Madison Square Garden.

Crickets.

I instantly start to over analyze everything.

Not being able to stop myself I start to ramble out all my thoughts.

"I tried to stop myself. I really did. I just couldn't help it. No matter what I do he's always on my mind. It's like I physically can't get him out of my head. He's like that song that you secretly hate but you can't help it from getting stuck in your head. Not that I'm saying I hate him. It's actually quite far from that. But then there's Layla and I feel like a terrible person because of it. But it's not like we did anything. God no I could never. Not when he has a girlfriend." I pause taking in a sharp breath before continuing.