thirteen

Shawn Scott

Shawn Scott.

He's not someone who I considered myself to be extremely close with but still, we grew up together.

It's hard not to feel sad when you lose someone. But it hurts a little more when it's one of your own.

Someone who you've known since you were kids, gone just like that.

It makes you realize how precious life is and just how easy it can be taken from you.

It's sad but you have to know that something like this could happen. It comes with the drug territory.

Death is always a possibility. But that doesn't mean it hurts any less.

"Thanks for coming with me tonight." I say as I scan the field for Spencer.

Tonight was the homecoming game, Beverly against Malibu.

This was honestly probably the last place I wanted to be but I promised Spencer that I would be here to cheer him on, but that didn't mean I wasn't going to bring someone. I really didn't feel like sitting by myself again.

"You seriously need to stop thanking me." Bennett laughs as he slings his arm around my shoulder.

"I mean this is probably what, the fifth time in the last fifteen minutes that you've thanked me? You know I can't say no to your cute face." He says pinching my cheek with his free hand. "Besides this gives me the opportunity to check out the competition.

Ah yes, the infamous championship game.

Beverly vs. Crenshaw.

That's a game that I definitely do not want to miss.

As I'm looking for the jersey with 11 painted on the back my eyes scan over something I definitely wasn't expecting to see.

There in all his glory was Asher Adams standing on the sidelines.

Why would he be on the sidelines? He's not even wearing his uniform. Is he not playing?

It's the homecoming game, he has to be playing.

A million thoughts rush through my mind as I watch him talk to Coach Baker. I keep my eyes trained on him as I watch him turn around defeatedly.

"Beverly will have to play short handed tonight as their leading receiver Asher Adams is suspended for the game. " The loud voice of the announcer blares through the speakers.

Suspended? Why is Asher suspended? It's gotta be because of the dance. Right?

All the thoughts leave my mind as Asher's ocean blue eyes lock on mine. Even from all the way down on the field I can see the emotion swirling in his eyes.

The guilt, the sadness, but most of all the yearning.

And there's no doubt that mine look the exact same way.