seventeen

School

School.

Boring but necessary.

School and I have a love hate relationship.

I need it if I plan on getting into a college but everyday I go I get more and more tempted to throw myself in front of a bus.

See, love hate.

The only thing that makes school slightly tolerable is Bennett.

He's been oddly affectionate lately. Making sure to always be touching me whether it be holding my hand or having a hand on my back.

Like right now, we're walking out of school with Chris and Patience and he's holding my hand like its the last thing he'll ever do.

As we're walking down the steps my eyes land on Spencer waiting out front.

"Oh Snap. What's up big dawg." Chris greets him.

"Look what the cat dragged in." I tease him as he hugs Patience.

"Uh if you're looking for Coop save yourself the trouble. She didn't show up again today." Patience tells him aggravated.

Chris nods in agreement. "Yeah man Miss Chambers is gonna fail her ass in chemistry that's for sure."

"Miss Chambers is gonna fail me in chemistry. And I actually show up to class." I scoff.

Spencer sighs as he shakes his head, "Damn, how much days she miss?"

"Third one this week." I tell him leaning into Bennett's side.

"At least when she was rolling with Shawn she was still focusing on graduating. Now she's rolling with Tyrone and them so who the hell knows." Patience adds solemnly.

"We're worried about her." I say quitely as Bennett squeezes my hand in comfort.

"Yeah I know me too." He says as we fall quiet.

His attention gets draw to something else as he lifts his head up, "Hey hang in there with Coop all right?""

No doubt." Chris responds as they bro hug before Spencer walks away to Kia his ex girlfriend.

Why the hell is talking to her. Last I checked they weren't talking.

"Okay hold up, I thought Spencer and Kia ain't really been on speaking terms since they broke up." Chris says reading my mind.

"They ain't." Patience and I say at the same time.

I choke down a laugh as I look at Patience who has the same expression on her face.

We watch the two of them for a second longer before Chris breaks the silence saying that they have football practice. Bennett gives me a quick peck before leaving with Chris.

"Oh so y'all official now?" Patience asks with her eyebrows raised in a knowing look.

I sigh as I throw my hands up in frustration. "I don't know. He hasn't asked me out yet. We act like a couple and talk like a couple but nothing is set in stone."

That's probably the one thing that is bothering me the most. The fact that he hasn't asked me out yet. I mean I understand wanting to take things slow but I hate to admit but I have trust issues.

"I hear you Car. just be careful. Boys can be dumb." She warns as we part our ways.

Jason had track practice today so I was stuck walking home. I like walking home sometimes. It lets me be alone and just think.

I do think that it's weird that Bennett hasn't asked me out yet but I try to brush it off for the most part. Maybe he has commitment issues.

As I walk up to my house I see Jordan leaving his grandfather's house with a kicked puppy look on his face.

"Jordan?" I yell from across the street.

He looks up as he hears his name being called. When he realizes its me he gives me a sad wave as he makes his way to his car.

I hate when people are sad. It's one of my weaknesses.

I contemplate all the possible outcomes of my next move. Against all my better judgement I find myself walking over to him.

"You got any plans right now?" I ask putting on a friendly smile."

His sad face instantly turns to a smirk as he leans up against his car folding his arms in front of his chest. "Why? Are you asking me out on a date Evans?"

I roll my eyes at his remark, "You wish Baker." I say flipping my hair playfully. He lets out a laugh at my response.

"Come on let's hangout. It'll be fun."

He looks at his car and then back at me seeming to contemplate his options. Ultimately he sighs giving in. "Alright."

•••••

"No one's that good at monopoly." Jordan complains as I beat him for the third time in a row.

I laugh as I continue cleaning up the board, "What can I say Park Place is my lucky charm."

He scoffs at me as he leans back on his palms. The kicked puppy look returns to his face.

"Now do you want to tell me why you look like someone stole your dog." I say catching him off guard.

He lets out a puff of air as his shoulders slump. "There's just a lot going on."

I nod in understanding, "Well if you ever need someone to talk to you can always call me."

"Thanks Carter." he says in appreciation before looking at the clock on the wall behind me.

"I better get going."He stands up and offers his hand out to help me up. "You know you're not too bad of company Evans."

I take his hand as he pulls me up. "You're not too bad either Baker."