Chapter Forty-One

The weeks go by quickly and for the first time Molly notices. She divides her time between studying, school, seeing her friends, having family trips out and seeing Charlie. She accompanied Lily to meet her mother in a café, the first time she had seen her in over a year. It was an emotional reunion despite Lily's reluctance to forgive her for the pain she put her through but Lily eventually listened to everything her mother had to say and agreed to a second meeting. And then a third, and then a fourth. Molly knows it's only a matter of time before her mother is granted custody again so that makes every moment they spend with her more special, especially with Christmas coming up.

With Charlie's help, Molly received her learner's permit and passed her driving test after ten lessons. But that wasn't her greatest day, her greatest day came when the court approved her adoption. When she held that piece of paper in her hand and knew that she never had to move again unless she chose to, that she was now bound to a family that she adored and couldn't bear to live without. Even though Pam and Daniel don't talk about the court costs Molly understands the sacrifices they have made and she's thankful for everything they've done for her. She made that very clear on Thanksgiving Day but she was so tearful that she couldn't finish it.

They've broken up for the holidays but school has been pretty much the same. Camilla returned after two weeks and she already knew about Molly and Charlie. She kept her distance and although she threw Molly a few scowls now and then she hasn't been a problem. Everyone is used to it now but at first Molly was subject to many uncomfortable stares and envious gossip. She doesn't care who knows about her mental health problems. When Charlie's by her side she stands so much taller, tall enough to rise above the whispers.

She still sees Alan occasionally but not as often. He checks in on her once every couple of weeks but Molly only has positive things to talk about. For the first time in four years Molly doesn't need a therapist. The triggers still come, mainly at random moments of the day when she really wants to tell them something that happened but it isn't suffocating like it used to be, now she just tells herself that they already know. That they're watching. That they'll be beside her for the rest of her life.

She isn't completely healed but close enough. She still finds it hard to talk about her family but she's getting better. She can look at their photographs now without wanting to die and she can linger on good memories without having a panic attack. And there's only one person that she has to thank for that.

Her relationship with Charlie has grown into something incredible. Over the last few weeks they have spent every weekend together. They've had long road trips around California, seen beautiful places that Molly has merely heard of. From national parks, to amusement parks, to a hiking trip around Lake Tahoe, to taking a ferry ride to Santa Catalina Island. His promise to make every day of hers worth living wasn't a lie. There are so many amazing things that they've done that she can't pick a favourite but if she had to then it would be today.

Today, they have spent the whole day Christmas shopping in the city. They ate lunch in an enclosed Chinese garden that was full of fairy lights, lanterns and streams. The place was so beautiful that Molly didn't want to ever leave. They covered most of the mall and they had their picture taken in one of those silly booths. They walked through the acres of forests that gives the city the name 'the city of trees' and she tried to draw him when they sat next to a fountain but he wouldn't sit still.

On the street Molly gave change to every homeless person she passed while Charlie rubbed his head and sighed every time she stopped. Molly knows what it's like to have nothing, to feel like she's nothing, and to have the world pass right by her without giving her a second look. Charlie didn't quite understand that but he never complained, out loud anyway. One woman asked if she'd sit and give her company, Molly agreed, but she had to ignore that Charlie was even there to avoid his glare. The woman was hilarious, Molly laughed at almost everything she said and they talked for a while until the sun began to set. Charlie was so patient, even though he was annoyed, and it was in that exact moment when she stood up and said goodbye to the woman and he took her hand as though he had been waiting hours to do it, Molly realized she was in love with him.