Chapter Four

Molly allows the tears to come when she is alone in a cubical. She has spent half of her lunch break crying and she doesn't know how much longer she can last like this. She has no one to comfort her. No one to help her. No one to stand at her side and hold her hand. No one wants that burden.

She has to do it alone like she always has. She was alone the moment she was taken from that stage and escorted into the darkest room of her life. There is no point in trying to convince herself otherwise, there is no point anymore.

When Molly finally leaves the cubical patting her cheeks with a tissue, she is greeted with the face of her science partner and her three very attractive friends.

"I knew it!" the girl shouts. "I knew you'd run in here and cry."

"You called it, Camilla," another girl says with a smirk. "I wonder how long she's been in here for."

"Probably since the class ended," Camilla says. "What do you have to cry about? You didn't even have to do any of the work."

Molly keeps a hold of her bag against her shoulder and starts to move for the door. Camilla blocks it, smiling through her long, blond locks.

"Are you going to another cubical to cry? Or would you like us to leave so you can continue?"

"I just want to leave," Molly whispers.

"I heard she's in therapy," a girl says behind Molly. "Like, she's really messed up."

"Is that true?" Camilla says, pulling a frown face. "Are you tapped up there?" Camilla presses her finger against Molly's forehead and pushes her backwards.

"Don't touch me," Molly hisses.

"Or what? Will you go all psycho? Will you get your voodoo doll and curse me?"

Everyone laughs and Molly can't take it. She keeps her head down and pushes past Camilla in haste, making her narrow escape from the toilets. She doesn't stop to see if they've followed her, she just keeps walking, all the way out of the science block and down to the eating grounds.

She bursts through a door, she doesn't know where, but the fresh air is heaven against her skin. She jogs along the school grounds, passing tables and tables of people that she believes are laughing at her. After minutes of running, she finally takes her place at a bench next to the school fountain.

She hasn't even eaten and she doesn't care. What good will food do? Will it take away the hurt? Will it quench the ever-lasting hunger of wanting all of this to go away? Molly blinks up at the strong sun and takes a deep breath.

"Inhale, count to five and let every single thing that is hurting you escape when you exhale," Savannah would say. "All of it. Out with the air. And when you take a new breath, you only breathe in positivity."

Granted, she would only tell Molly to do this during her intense yoga classes which Molly was forced to participate in at home; but it is still a memorable notion to help her. She uses her sister's yoga techniques to breathe out the negativity of the morning. But no matter how hard she tries, there is always a little left.

She is so caught up with the thoughts of her sister that she is delayed with the argument happening behind her. Voices, one male and one female, begin to bicker on the adjoining bench around the fountain.

"Why do I need to tell you every detail of my life?" the male demands. It is a strong voice, husky and deep. "If I want to go out, I'll go out. I don't need your permission."

"I'm not saying you need permission, Charlie! You do this every time. I can't speak to you about anything because you think I'm fishing."

"You are fishing. I don't see you for two days and I get hit with a hundred questions."

"So? I'm interested to know what you've been doing. Why is that so bad?"

Molly doesn't recognize the voice of the female. She doesn't sound like a teenager, she sounds older. Molly peers around the bench curiously, catching a glimpse of a beautiful woman dressed in a white summer dress standing over a male with light brown hair. He has his back to her, but the dark-haired woman meets Molly's eyes and Molly looks away sheepishly.

"I don't want to do this here," the male, Charlie, says. "There's a place and time."

"Fine. Where and when?"

Charlie sighs. "Tomorrow."

"Are you freaking kidding me? Tomorrow? Really?"

"I'm busy tonight."

"Too busy for me?" the woman's voice drops lower.

"Now you know how it feels."

"Well I'm working tomorrow. You either see me tonight or you don't see me at all."

"I told you, I'm busy. What the hell do you want from me?"

"So that's it, is it? You do what you want, when you want and with no respect for me?" the woman demands angrily.

"Yep. You've finally figured it out, Aubrey."

"Asshole."

"Where are you going?"

Molly slides along the bench as Aubrey storms around the fountain while Charlie gives quick pursuit. Molly has heard many arguments like this one from various schools and various people, but this is the first time she is unsure of who is actually in the wrong.

"That's it, run away," Charlie shouts as Aubrey walks quickly to the parking lot. "It's what you're best at!"

Molly suddenly realises she is staring at him and he realises it too. She recognizes his face, he is the boy from her science class, the one that didn't laugh along with Camilla's taunts.

"What are you looking at?" he hisses at Molly.

"Nothing," Molly says.

She keeps her eyes low until he has walked off. The bell rings, signalling the end of lunch and Molly has run out of time. She must now face an entire two hours of gym class with every other girl in her grade. She knows Camilla and her friends will be there and they have most likely told everyone about Molly's weak moment earlier. She needs to compartmentalize her sorrow, but there is so little strength she has to do it.

Molly slowly makes the journey to the out building around the other side of the school. She joins the back of the line of all the other girls in her grade that are waiting to be let inside by a gym instructor. Across the field she sees the boys enter their outbuilding and she wonders how inappropriate it would be if she was to discreetly join them.

She wouldn't mind getting changed there, she wouldn't mind a dozen pair of male eyes on her if it meant escaping the girls.

The door bursts open.

"Come on, ladies!"

It's too late. Molly enters the outbuilding and fearfully slides into the changing rooms.