Chapter Twenty-Nine

Molly sits with Daisy and Henley at the breakfast table before they have to go to school. Last night was so great that she didn't want it to end. Pam and Daniel took them bowling, which was hilarious and fun, and then they all went for a family meal at an Italian restaurant that was filled with other families.

Molly didn't feel out of place or triggered, for the first time in four years Molly felt like she was somewhere she belonged. Even Lily ditched her phone for most of the evening and joined in with the conversations. The six of them just clicked in a way they never have before. It makes Molly appreciate every moment with them more which is why she has decided not to go out with Lauren tonight. She would rather be here on her final night, she would rather eat dinner with Pam, Daniel and the kids and then read Daisy her last bedtime story. As much as it's breaking her heart, Molly is trying to remain positive with a technique that Alan taught her. It's a risky game of imagination by picturing yourself taking control of the uncontrollable, but it works.

"How would you feel about going to the park after school?" Molly asks them. "We could get hotdogs."

"Hotdogs!" Henley squeals. "Yes please."

"I'd like that," Daisy says as she stirs her cereal.

"Is that okay?" Molly asks Pam. She isn't listening, she's too fixated on her phone in the corner of the kitchen. "Pam?"

"Sorry, what?" she says. "Yeah, sure. Course it is."

Molly leaves the table and walks over to her. "Is everything okay?"

"Yeah, uh, your social worker's coming over at two." Pam rubs her eye and sighs. "We might not get back in time. Do you think you could talk to her until we get here?"

"Why? Where are you going?"

"To. . . get my hair done." She grins widely. "Daniel is working but he'll be here. We'll both be here. You'll be okay until then?"

"I guess," Molly says. "Are you sure everything's-?"

"Come on, kids! We need to get a move on or you'll be late. Say bye to Molly."

"Bye, Molly," they say together, waving as they exit the kitchen.

"Oh, can you tidy the house a little bit for the visit?" Pam calls from the other side of the lounge. "The vacuum's under the stairs. Thanks!"

"Sure," Molly mutters. "Bye."

The house is suddenly quiet, and empty. Molly gets to work on the chores, starting with the vacuuming. She tidies away most of Henley's toys into boxes in the lounge and picks up pieces of lego from all around the flooring of the entire downstairs. She doesn't stop there. She bleaches the bathrooms, dusts the ceiling, sanitizers the kitchen counters and then washes the windows. She puts a pile of washing into the machine and mops the floor. There's a moment in the middle of her exhaustion when her hand reaches down to pat Shiloh's head. It's only when she meets empty air that she realizes he's gone.

Molly finds it strange having a full morning without a therapy session. She misses her morning walks with Alan already. She misses the way he told her stories of his past in a way she could relate to, the way he was patient with her even when she cowered away from his questions.

After her chores are done she takes a shower and gets changed into a white sweater with black jeans. She brushes out her bouncy curls and ties her hair into a ponytail. She stares at the clock, it's almost two. Just as she's walking down the stairs the doorbell rings. She opens the door, unsure of how to greet Abigail.

"Hey, Molly," she says.

"Hi. Come in."

Molly leads her into the lounge but Abigail lingers, glancing around the walls, ceiling and inspecting the doors. She jots some things down on a piece of paper.