Chapter Nineteen

Molly waits by the door with the leash in her hand as Charlie talks with Doctor Alan at the reception desk. He looks like he's thinking it over but she's already halfway turned back towards the door because she knows the likely answer will be no. They talk for so long that she begins to feel anxious and she falls down onto a chair. Shiloh places his head on her lap and stares up at her. She pets his fur as Charlie walks back over.

"I think I should get a career in negotiations," he says. "I'm quite good at it."

"What are the terms?" Molly says.

"Keep you away from the exits, anything sharp, and anything that looks or smells like vegetables. I added the last one."

She smiles. "Where's the cafeteria?"

"Next floor up. It's almost closed but he's going to call them and tell them to stay open for us."

Molly looks over at Alan who is looking back at her as he talks on the phone behind the desk. "He's going to a lot of trouble just for me."

"I think he likes it. He's trusting you. That's good."

"Yeah."

"Come on," he says.

"What about the dog?"

"He said they allow therapy dogs so he can come with us."

Molly still sits there. She doesn't know what's wrong. She wants to go, she does, but there's a part of her that's afraid. She doesn't know how to talk to someone one-on-one unless it's a therapist or a child back at the foster home. Charlie makes her nervous, he's confident and fearless, he might not understand her anxiety and she doesn't want to come across as strange or boring. He doesn't pressure her; he waits patiently and she slowly begins to stand up.

Even though he's a fast walker Charlie stays by her side matching her paces. Her hands tremble as they reach the elevator and although Charlie notices, he acts as though he hasn't. They enter the elevator and stand at opposite sides with the dog in between.

"Did I mention I hate hospitals?" Charlie sighs as he presses a button.

"Did I mention I hate doctors?" Molly grins.

"I don't know how you can stand it. I couldn't think of anything worse than someone poking around in my head," Charlie says. The elevator stops and the doors open. "And you've had months of it."

Molly smiles as she walks out first. "Years."

"Years?"

The cafeteria is at the end of the hallway and there's no other people around which makes Molly relax. There's soft music playing inside and the room is empty apart from a boy and girl sitting on a table in the far corner. Charlie wanders over to a shelf filled with sandwiches and snacks while Molly stiffens when she sees the prices.

"I don't have any money," she whispers.

"It's fine, I'll get it," Charlie says. "Get whatever you want."

"You're sure?" He nods. "I'll pay you back. Thank you."

Charlie goes straight for the chicken club but Molly is indecisive. It takes her an extra minute to choose and Charlie looks through his wallet as he waits. She picks out the chicken club too and grabs a banana from the fruit bowl.

"You want a drink? I'm getting a coffee."

"Yeah, coffee would perfect."

Molly feels awkward as Charlie orders their drinks and hands over the cash to the woman behind the counter. No one's ever paid for her food before and she doesn't know how to feel about it. This is all very new to her.