Chapter 7

I change my mind.

One week in following my schedule and I am dying. Not only am I stressed with lessons where I have to memorize thousands of Japanese characters, I also have to attend cooking classes with demon teachers. I mean, seriously, what kind of teacher makes a student memorize hundreds of smell each day? Jun-sensei does. And don't get me started with Gin-sensei who always make me retry the entire process of cooking when I make even one small mistake. Like, I'm blind for goodness sake. I can't exactly see where I put the ingredients, yes? Oh, and Joichiro did help tor-train me with my focus where he would randomly distract me by random ways (like shouting or tapping me) when I am cooking or memorizing the scent of herbs which makes me lose focus and start again. Sigh. Anyway, all in all, it's been a draining year. Yes, a year has passed since I became blind and agreed to be the demon teachers' student. Actually, I've been wondering why I agreed almost everyday. Is this my punishment for being too greedy? If it is then I'm sorry to whoever is in charge of my life and give me an easier time!!

"Soma, you're going to cut yourself if you space out." a voice interrupted me from my thoughts. I blinked and smiled when I recognized the voice.

"Akira-kun." I greeted. "Don't worry, after all the hellish training with Jun-sensei, Gin-sensei, and my dad, a small accident is almost impossible."

Six months in working together as students under Jun-sensei, we finally decided to call each other with our first names because we became friends with each other. When my three teachers found out about it, they had different reactions. Jun was gleeful, my father was overprotective, and Gin was glad we were friends because I, and Akira-kun, had no friends.

"True." he hummed. "What were you thinking?"

"My dad wanted me to go somewhere with him today and I don't know where so I'm kind of scared." I answered.

"Why?" he curiously asked.

"Well, the last time he did this, I was met with two demon teachers." I said and he laughed softly a little, agreeing to my comment.

"They are brutal teachers but at least we learn something, right?" he said.

"Yeah." I nod. "Anyways, you hungry? I'm cooking curry."

"Sure." he said. "I'll prepare the table."

"Thanks." I said.

Throughout our talk, I never once stopped cooking and cutting ingredients. I guess Joichiro helped a lot in that aspect although I'll never say that out loud unless I want him to tease me until my death.

Once I finished cooking, I called Akira.

"Akira-kun, I finished cooking. Can you help me put it in a plate?" I shouted, receiving a soft 'okay' before feeling him gently guiding me somewhere, probably the table, and sitting me down. He then left to grab the food while I silently waited on the chair until I smelled and felt the heat of the curry with rice in front of me. I heard a chair being pulled in front of me and waited a few seconds before putting my hands together in a praying motion.

"Ittadakimasu." the both of us said and we started to eat, talking about random things.

"How's homeschool?" Akira asked, curious as he was in normal school. "I remember your father and Dojima-san complaining to Jun yesterday while they were drinking. Something about evil teachers?"

"Homeschool is boring." I said with a small sigh. "For the first two months, all the teachers my parents hired were either stupider then me or think that I'm stupid so they don't focus at all, thinking that I'm easy money and blaming me when my parents ask why I don't learn anything. Of course, I proved them wrong and made them leave in a blushing mess due to being beaten by an eight year old kid."

"How about nowadays? Still the same?" he continued asking.

"No, these months, the teachers hired are only focused on teaching me how to write characters and other basic things since they found out I had eidetic memory." I said.

Yes, turns out the two idiots blessed me with perfect memory as 'repayment' for not stopping the accident although I think it was only because Retho was bored with how mundane my life was so he decided to add a little spice. Not that I am complaining because it is really helpful as I could cut my study time in half. Meaning, my schedule for studying is only Monday while the rest is for cooking except for Saturday and Sunday.

"I see." he hummed. After that, we ate in silence, except this time it was a peaceful kind unlike before. After we ate, Akira washed the plates while I circled around the table to remove the fullness feeling I have in my stomach because I ate a little too much.

"You guys done eating?" halfway through my exercise, I heard my father's voice from my far right, making me turn to the said direction.

"Yeah." I said as Akira ignored him. "Is it time?"

"Yep!" he said, popping the 'p' sound. "Ready to go?"

"Yes." I said obediently, waiting for him to grab my hand and guide me to where we will go. Sure enough, he did just that and, after a couple of step, I felt the wind gently hitting my face and making my tied-up hair fly, signifying that we were outside.

"So, Soma, how was your day?" he asked, starting the conversation as we walked.

"It was fine." I said with a calm voice. "Akira-kun asked me what you were babbling about yesterday to Gin-sensei and Jun-sensei. Something about my previous teachers?"

"A-ah." he stuttered, knowing how much I hate his habit of drinking as it damages the liver and I wanted him to live a long life unlike the past me who died early. "Oh look, we're here!"

Did he just change the topic of our conversation? This damn......

"Dad, don't forget our conversation, okay? We'll be having it later once we're done with this. Preferably with mom." I said with a sweet smile.

"Hahahaha, what a funny daughter you have, Joichiro." a deep voice in front of us forbade me from speaking any more because it was rude to talk when a stranger appears.