Chapter 9

Once everyone ate the cake including my father and I, Sanzaemon and Joichiro decided to make us kids play and talk. I'm pretty sure they just wanted us out to discuss about Azami since I'm pretty sure they talked about it in the phone based on Sanzaemon telling me that Joichiro told him a lot about me. However, I am curious to know if Azami is still in this household or was he already kicked out. Maybe I should innocently ask dad when we go home. Anyway, I am currently outside with the others, sitting on a chair as they discussed about random things. I try to listen attentively but quickly found it boring so I am now trying to not fall asleep while keeping a poker face. 

"Are you listening, Soma-chan?" I heard Alice asked me. I guess my poker face is not that much if she can tell I'm not listening.

"...Yes?" I answered although it sounded more like a question. I heard a sigh and a snicker before someone, probably Alice, lightly bump my head. 

"Listen to us!" she said. "Anyway, we were asking what your favorite food is."

"Hmm." I said as I thought of all the food I loved. I could easily say strawberry cake but they might not believe me and think I'm taking the easy way out. "I don't think I have one." 

It was true, I like so many food that I don't believe I can only choose one. 

"I see." she said with a disappointed sigh. "Well, anyway..."

Yep, tuning her out again. I guess it was obvious I wasn't listening anymore because they never asked me any questions until Joichiro and Sanzaemon arrived and we went back home.

"Was it fun, Soma?" he asked as we walked. 

"Yeah." I said with a nod. "Their conversations were a bit boring but it's nice that they try to include me." 

Well, until it was obvious I didn't want to talk anymore that is. 

"Oh?" he said teasingly. "Then why was Alice complaini-"

He was interrupted by something I didn't know.

"Are you alright?" I heard Joichiro say and felt him bend down a little, making me understand the situation.

"You're too clumsy, Dad." I said with a small teasing smile. "I'm sorry about him. Are you hurt?"

"A-ah, no, I'm fine." I heard the person, a young male based on his voice, say. "Besides, I wa-wasn't looking at where I was going."

"What's your name?" Joichiro asked, making me curious. Usually, he would just leave it at that after making sure the person wasn't really injured. He never cared about the names.

"A-ah. I'm Asahi." he said. 

"I'm Saiba Joichiro." he introduced himself. "This is my child, Soma."

"Nice to meet you." I said, not bothering to give him my last name since Joichiro introduced himself as Saiba and not Yukihira. Is he hiding mom's last name? Is that man dangerous? But he seems like a nice, a little bit shy, kid.

"What are you doing here so late at night?" my dad asked.

"A-ah, I wanted to b-buy some food for my siblings." he stuttered. 

"Siblings?" he continued asking. 

"Y-yes." Asahi said. "I'm from an orphanage and managed to earn some money by working so I wanted to treat them something special."

Ah, I finally understood why he used Saiba as his last name. Since he was famous as a Saiba, if this child needs help, he can claim to be acquaintances with Dad and be helped to contact dad. If dad said Yukihira, then only a few people would recognize him. Joichiro just wanted to help an orphan who was probably wearing dirty clothes since many orphanages don't have enough money to wash clothes everyday. I felt my heart sting when I thought of that, remembering another one of my past best friend who was so kind. Why were kind people the ones suffering the most? Why is it the kids who suffer from their parents' mistakes? 

"Let's be friends!" I said impulsively, blinking in shock when I realized what I just said and became flustered. "A-ah, no, I-I..."

"Hahaha." Joichiro laughed as he patted my head. "You heard her. Do you want to be friends?"

"E-eh?" the boy stuttered. "I-is that really okay? I mean, I am..."

"It's fine!" I said seriously. "It doesn't matter if you're an orphan. We can be friends."

"T-then...okay." he answered so softly I had to strain my ears to hear it but it was worth it as a large smile bloomed on my face. 

"Really?!" I said excitedly. "Yehey!"

I then pulled my father's shirt. "When can we meet, Dad?"

"Hmm." he hummed. "Where is your orphanage?"

"A-ah, it's just nearby." he stuttered. 

"Can you bring us there?" father asked.

"A-are you sure?" Asahi asked, sounding concerned and wary, probably thinking that we might do something to his siblings.

"Yes." Joichiro said. "Don't worry, I just want to know where I will bring Soma to visit you."

"Ah." he said with a relieved tone. "Then, please follow me."

As soon as Asahi said that, he started walking (based on his footsteps getting fainter) when father suddenly carried me on his shoulders. 

"E-eh?" I squeaked out in shock while father just laughed. 

"It will be quicker this way." he explained and I nod. We walked for a few minutes until he stopped, signifying that we arrived. He let me down and told me to talk with Asahi while he talk with the owner. I nod and he left. 

"So..." I said awkwardly. "What do you want to talk about?"

"Um..." he just made a noise without answering, leaving us in silence until I had an idea.

"Oh, do you know how to cook?" I asked him which he just answered a simple negative. "Do you want to learn?"

"C-can I?" he asked and I nod excitedly. 

"Yeah!" I said. "I can ask Dad to teach you and we can cook together!"

"You can cook?" he asked which I nod at. After that, Dad arrived and we left but not before promising to each other that we will meet again.