Chapter 10

The next day, I was pleasantly surprised that my father brought Asahi in our home. 

It was a normal day and I woke up later then usual, probably due to the fact that I was not used sleeping late in this life. When I went to the kitchen to grab something to satisfy my grumbling stomach, I was shocked to hear Asahi and my parents' voice.

"Hello?" I asked, confused at what was happening.

"Good afternoon, Soma." my mother greeted me with a pat in the head. Afternoon? I slept that late?

"Yo, Soma!" my father said.

"H-hello, So-Soma-san." Asahi stuttered.

"Hello, Asahi." I said. "What did I tell you about calling me with formalities?"

"Not to." he obediently said while I nod.

"So call me Soma!" I insisted while he rejected until my father interrupted our banter.

"Just accept it, kid." he said. "She won't stop until you do."

I nod at him to prove my father's point.

"Okay." he said. "S-Soma."

"That's better!" I joyously said. "So, why are you here?"

"Did you forget your promise with each other, Soma?" Joichiro asked and I made an 'oh' face.

"Oh!" I exclaimed. "But I never thought it would happen so quickly."

"A-am I not suppose to g-go here?" I heard Asahi whisper which made me panic.

"No, that's not it!" I denied. "I just didn't expect you to be here so early but I'm happy you're here!"

"O-oh." he said and I had the feeling that he was smiling. 

"Anyway, let's continue cooking." Joichiro said in what I thought to be annoyance but there's no reason for him to be so I was confused. I then heard my mother laugh and I just shook my head, thinking that something must have happened. 

Little did I know, Joichiro was annoyed when he saw Asahi smile and blush a little at her, his precious daughter. 

.

.

.

.

.

.

One year has passed and I am now nine years old. Three months after I met Asahi, I introduced him to the rest of my friends who welcomed him warmly. Ever since then, we would all meet up every Saturday and cook together while chatting. 

Really, I'm glad that I was given a second chance. Even though bad things happened, at the end of it all, the pros I got overcomes the cons. 

"-oi!" I blinked in surprise, going back to reality when I heard someone's voice. I turned to the source and felt a hand on top of mine which has stopped mixing the food I was cooking.

"Yeah?" I asked, unsure why the person was holding my hand. I could faintly smell the strong scent of curry powder so the person was probably Akira. 

"What were you thinking about that you got so distracted and almost burnt the sauce?" he asked which caused me to pause and sniff the air, realizing he was right when I smelled the slightly burning scent in the air. Whoops.

"Nothing in particular." I said with a small laugh, embarrassed that I made an amateur mistake after undergoing training from many talented chefs around the world.  

"Really?" I knew it, he wouldn't believe such a shallow lie when he's been cooking with me for a long time already. 

"Sigh, I was just thinking how lucky I am with having friends like you guys." I told him the half-truth, still not prepared to tell them how I reincarnated and watched their lives and future in my past life as a show. Nope, they might think I'm crazy or something. 

"Well, you don't need to think that." he said after an awkward silence.

"Yeah, Soma, we're the ones thankful to have a great friend like you." another person, Asahi based on the voice, said from behind me. 

"That's true." this time, it was Erina's voice. "And how long do you plan on holding Soma's hand, Akira-kun?" 

"Huh? E-eh? Sorry." Akira said as I felt the warmth of his hand disappear from mine. 

"Anyway, what are you guys cooking?" Alice's voice was heard from my front. 

"Nothing special." I told her. "It's just a simple dish so that we could enjoy a light snack before dinner since the meat is still defrosting."

"Simple dishes that you cook taste amazing, Soma-chan~" she said as I heard a small 'yes' from Ryo who was most probably beside her. 

"Thank you for your high praise." I thank her with a smile, glad that someone who is an amazing chef enjoys my food. "Oh, and the food is done although it is a little burnt due to an... accident."

"She was dozing off and it would have burned if I didn't help her." Akira told them, causing them to laugh at my carelessness while I pouted a little, shy that he ousted me just like that to everyone.

"A-anyway, let's eat while it is still hot!" I diverted their attention and everyone helped me grab plates, utensils, and others. 

"This is great!" Hisako praised. "It's not too sweet nor too bland."

"Yeah." Erina agreed with a pleased hum. "I could eat it all day."

The others gave me more praises that made me wonder if they're just saying it for fun or honesty since the food tasted normal but I put that thought away, prioritizing our time together since no one can predict the future.

Yes, just like my untimely death.

No, don't think about it. It's all in the past. 

I blocked those negative thoughts and focused on enjoying our time together, that is, until, the door slammed open. 

"Soma!" I heard my father's voice, panting as his footsteps approached us. 

"What's wrong, Dad?" I asked with concern since he seems to have ran all the way here based on his uneven breathing. "Did something happen?"

"Soma...you..." he was still huffing. 

"Calm down, Dad, and tell me what slowly." I instructed him which he followed. 

"Soma, I found a way." he said seriously.

"A way?" I asked with a small tilt of my head, confused at what he was saying. 

"Yes." he confirmed. "I found a way to heal your eyes."