Step 1: Become Friends With Remus Lupin

TW for mentions of child/emotional abuse. I'll tell you exactly where in the chapter it starts so you can still read it and just skip those parts. I added a section at the end to say what you missed, but not in detail. Ily and take care of yourself <3

"I'm James Potter. And you are?"

"Sirius Black, pleasure to meet you."

The sickly looking boy on the other side of the train compartment tensed at the name Black.

Perhaps I should switch compartments. The Black family are known for their views against Half Bloods and Half Breeds.

The boy with the glasses frowned. "Black? As in the Noble and-"

"Most Ancient House Of Black yeah yeah I know." The boy with black hair crossed his arms and slouched in his seat, scowling out the window. "I hate all that crap they try to drill into my head. Who even cares about blood status? It has nothing to do with anything!"

Remus relaxed a bit. Maybe he's not like the others. Maybe this'll be ok.

Maybe I could even have a friend.

Remus shook his head quickly to dismiss the thought. Werewolves don't deserve friends, he told himself. They are disgusting creatures. Monsters. Nothing more.

TW starts

Or at least that's what Lyall Lupin says.

Lyall had taught Remus for his whole life as a werewolf that werewolves didn't deserve to live. Didn't deserve friends. Didn't deserve rights. Didn't deserve anything. He said that they were murderous monsters who should be locked up.

Remus' mother was sort of neutral about the situation. She hardly ever stood up to Lyall, but she treated Remus the same way she treated him before the incident.

The incident. That's what they called it now. No one dared speak the word 'werewolf' or 'bite' or 'lycanthropy' in the Lupin household. That's just the way it was.

TW ends

Remus' thoughts were interrupted by a small, sort of chubby boy grinning and holding his hand out across the gap in between their seats. 

"I'm Peter Pettigrew!"

Remus shook his hand shyly. "R-Remus Lupin."

Sirius looked across the compartment at Remus. He seemed ill and very very nervous.

"Hey are you ok? You don't look so good."

Remus looked down quickly and started figeting with his hands. "I'm fine. J-just getting over a c-cold."

"Oh..." Sirius didn't quite believe Remus, but he wouldn't pry if Remus didn't want to talk about it. "Well it's nice to meet you, Remus! I can tell the four of us are gonna be great friends." Then he laughed loudly, startling Peter. "I'm sorry that sounded so cheesy."

The four boys all laughed, even Remus, albeit quietly. Then the compartment door slid open to reveal a woman pushing around a cart of sweets.

"Anything from the trolley, dear?"

James, Sirius and Peter all raced to the cart, grabbing all the candy they could get their hands on and dropping galleons into the woman's hand. Remus just sat by the window staring longingly at the chocolate frogs. His father, the keeper of the family's money, hadn't given him any money for train snacks. Remus was too sick with worry to eat anyway.

Once the trolley woman left, the three boys sat back down, exchanging candy. Sirius noticed Remus sitting by the window, not participating in the trade.