The First Instance Of Wolfstar

Halloween night, 1973

"Alright, lads, I propose we get to know each other better."

"And what's the best way to do that?"

"Spin the bottle. Obviously."

Remus rolled his eyes at James and Sirius. They'd been trying to rope Remus into their games for two months now, and he always refused, but now he supposed he had to join, considering it was Halloween. He sighed and nodded, earning a cheer from James and Sirius. Peter walked back into the common room carrying an armful of snacks, which he dumped in the middle of the circle of Gryffindors.

"I take it he said yes?"

"Yup! Finally!" Sirius slung an arm around Remus' shoulders and kissed his cheek. Sirius did that to everyone though. Remus thought nothing of it.

James stood up and clapped his hands, gaining the attention of the entire common room.

"Alright, everyone, who's up for a game of spin the bottle?"

A bunch of Gryffindors cheered and joined, some more reluctantly than others. The group had now grown quite large, including James, Sirius, Remus, Peter, Lily Evans, Dorcas Meadowes, Alice Fortescue, Fabian Prewett, Gideon Prewett, Frank Longbottom, Mary MacDonald, Marlene McKinnon, McLaggen, and plenty more.

The ground rules were set (only kissing with consent, only kissing people within one year of you (a first year couldn't kiss a seventh year, for example), no incest, and under no circumstances would Lily kiss James or vice versa), and the empty bottle was placed in the middle of the circle.

"Me first!!" Sirius jumped forward and spun the bottle. Everyone watched it spin for what felt like forever until it stopped spinning, pointing to Marlene McKinnon. Marlene gagged, making her best friend, Dorcas, giggle. Sirius rolled his eyes and crawled over to her.

"Consent?" He stopped right in front of her.

She thought for a second then nodded. "Yes. Consent."

Sirius leaned forward and pecked Marlene on the lips. She immediately jerked away and wiped her mouth on her sleeve. "Yeah, no. That's not for me."

Sirius laughed and crawled back to his spot in the circle next to Remus. Marlene spun next and landed on Dorcas. They kissed, just like Sirius and Marlene had, but Marlene didn't jerk away. Sirius thought he probably had bad breath or something, so he pulled some mint flavored muggle gum out of his pocket and started to chew it.

Marlene moved back to her seat, blushing, and said, "Alright, Dorcas, your turn."

Dorcas, also blushing, leaned forward and spun the bottle, which landed on Remus. Remus laughed nervously and gave his consent. Dorcas kissed him on the lips, and Remus decided it was quite pleasant, until Sirius put a hand on each of their necks and pushed them apart.

"Oi, you only needed to kiss for a second. No making out." He crossed his arms and refused to meet Remus' eyes. Sirius didn't know why he didn't want Remus kissing Dorcas, he had just felt so... protective all of a sudden.

The game continued like that for a while. Remus kissed Alice, Alice kissed Frank, Frank kissed Mary, and Mary kissed Peter. Peter was going to kiss Sirius, but neither of them wanted to. Then it was Sirius' turn again. The bottle spun for what seemed like ages until it slowly rolled to a stop. Sirius looked up at the person it was pointing to.

Remus.

"Oh! Uh..." Sirius rubbed the back of his neck. "We don't have to, if you don't want to. I'm fine with it, but if you're not comfortable..."

"No, no," Remus tugged on the curl hanging in front of his eyes. "It's... it's fine. I consent."

Sirius nodded and leaned forward, pressing his lips to Remus'. Lily gasped and grabbed the hands of the person closest to her, who happened to be James. She knew they were meant to be together and she was so excited for them, she didn't even realize who's hands she was holding. James blushed and glanced at Lily, but then looked back at Sirius and Remus. He wanted them together just as much as she did, maybe even more.

Remus felt like sparks were flying through his whole body. It was much different than the kiss with Dorcas, much more enjoyable. Of course, it was only Remus' second kiss ever, so he didn't have much to compare to, but he decided this was the best kiss he'd ever had. It was odd, of course, kissing your best mate, but he really didn't mind it at all.

Sirius enjoyed that kiss much more than the one with Marlene, but he decided that was probably because it lasted longer. They only pulled apart, blushing, when they heard Marlene and Dorcas wolf-whistling at them. The game went on, and Remus and Sirius didn't speak of the kiss again until many years later.

~~✩☽~~

Later than night, around midnight, James was just about to fall asleep when he saw his curtains being tugged back. He assumed it was Sirius having another nightmare, so he moved over and made an empty spot on his bed, expecting Sirius to crawl in next to him. Instead, it was a redhead, green eyed girl, decidedly not Sirius, who climbed in next to him. James froze.

"L-Lily? What are you doing here?!"

"Shh!" Lily shushed him and pulled out her wand. "Muffliato," she whispered.

"Ok," James returned to a normal speaking volume. "Now tell me, what are you doing here? I thought you hated me?"

"Trust me, I do." Lily shoved James towards the foot of the bed and sat near his pillow, pulling the blankets up to her chin. "But we have to work together, for the greater good."

"The greater- Evans, what the actual fuck are you talking about?" James shivered. "And give me my blankets back! I'm cold!"

"Hush. The greater good of getting Sirius and Remus together."

James nodded. "Right, but we're thirteen. I doubt they'll be dating any time soon."

"Hmm," Lily thought for a moment. "What if we just gradually push them together over the course of a couple years so they can eventually get together?"

"And if that doesn't work?"

"Shove them in a broom closet and don't let them out until they kiss. Or shag. Whichever."

James blushed and plugged his ears. "Merlin, Lily, hush!"

Lily snorted. "What? Afraid of the word shag?"

James cringed and Lily laughed.

"You know I'll be using this against you, right?"

"Shut up."

"Hm." Lily pulled down the blankets and scooted toward James. She stuck out her hand for him to shake. "Do we have a plan?"

James unplugged his ears and shook her hand. "We have a plan."