Step 4: Admit Feelings

"Ok so MAYBE it was my fault but you know what?"

"What, Sirius?"

"... I don't know."

James sighed and sat down on the side of Sirius' hospital bed. "If you hadn't been staring at Remus' ass-"

Sirius blushed scarlet. "I wasn't staring at his ass! Even if I was, how would that cause me to get stuck under sticking mistletoe?"

"Because you weren't watching where you were going while you stared at his ass? You know if you had just shut up and kissed Remus like I told you to then we wouldn't have had to find out the hard way that the mistletoe is charmed to punch you in the stomach once an hour until you kiss someone!"

Right on cue, Sirius doubled over in pain as he got punched in the stomach by an invisible force.

"Why are you so set on getting me and Moony together?" Sirius rubbed his bruised stomach. "Just because he's gay and I'm... not dating anyone at the moment doesn't mean we have to be together."

"Yeah but it makes sense."

"How?" Sirius crossed his arms and leaned back on his pillows, raising an eyebrow.

"You always sleep in the same bed, you're really protective of him and he's really protective of you, his sanity balances out your insanity, you're all over each other all the time, you stare at his ass like 24/7 and he does the same to you, honestly it's a wonder that you're not together already."

Sirius scowled. "Those are things that friends do James. I've slept in your bed before."

"Ok but... ass staring?"

"I wasn't staring at his ass!"

"Who's ass?"

"Remus' ass!"

"Talking about my ass, are we?

Remus, of course had to choose that exact moment to walk in.

Sirius groaned. "James, you bloody git, you planned that didn't you?"

James shrugged and wiggled his eyebrows. "Maybe I did, maybe I didn't. The world may never know...." he stood up and stretched, gesturing for Remus to take his spot. "I'll leave you lovebirds alone. Au revoir." and with that, he strutted out of the room, Sirius flipping him off the whole way.

As soon as James left the hospital wing, Remus laid down next to Sirius and intertwined their fingers. Sirius couldn't stop thinking about what James said.

".... hey Remus...."

"Yeah, Sirius?"

"Uh... this," Sirius lifted their hands and gestured to them laying in the bed, "is a normal thing that friends do, right?"

Remus turned away to hide the hurt in his eyes. "Yeah. Friends."

Sirius let out his breath that he didn't know he was holding. "Ok. Just wanted to make sure. James has this crazy theory that you and I are meant to be or something."

Remus forced a laugh. "Yeah. Crazy."

Sirius looked over at him. "You alright?"

Remus let go of his hand. "'M fine. Going back to the dorm." And he left before Sirius could say goodbye.

Sirius was confused. Did he say something wrong? Before he could try to chase after Remus, Madame Pomfrey came in with a sleeping draught and told him to rest.

~~✩☽~~

Later that night, as Sirius walked back to the dorm, he was still thinking about Remus and what he said.