chapter 3

y/n pov
as i stepped out of the shower i changed into a hoodie i found in my closet. for some reason i had a stash of hoodies in my back cupboard, but they all seemed to be too big for me. i got changed and stepped into the living area to see kenma sitting on the couch with his game and kuroo staring at the ground.

"im kinda hungry" i said as kuroo and kenma looked up. kenma raised his eyebrows, before peering over at kuroo.

"let's go grab some food then" kuroo said softly, trying to seem excited but evidently failing. the more i stared the more i noticed the sadness in his tone and energy. he seemed to be so down and had no will to do anything. i sighed. i guessed it was because of me, but there really wasn't anything i could think of to do. i would try talking to him but it didnt seem like he wanted to talk to me right now.

the three of us left my apartment and went to a nearby restaurant to get se lunch. kuroo decided to eat at a restaurant just a few blocks down, a walkable distance from my apartment, so we walked. kenma stood inbetween us as we walked, the awkward silence was overbearing.

kuroo pov

after hearing y/n say she was hungry, i decided to take her to her favourite restaurant down the road. the two of us used to go to all the time. she loved the ramen there, she always said there wasnt ramen like this anywhere else.

we walked quietly towards the restaurant with nothing but the soft whistle of the wind blowing past. the silence was prominent and it was so clear. as we approached the restaurant, i stepped forward to open the door, letting y/n and kenma into the restaurant.

"what do you recommend ?" she asked as she peered up from the menu to me and kenma. "the beef ramen is good" i said, pointing out her favourite dish which she now had no recollection of.

timeskip-
soon the food we ordered came and the waitress placed the 3 bowls infront of us. y/n looked up and picked up her chopsticks, ready to gobble down the delicious ramen before her.

"oh my godddd, this is the best ramen ive ever eaten. wait how does something this heavenly exist ??" she said with her eyes wide as she continued to slurp down the ramen. i looked down at my own food and smiled "i know" i mumbled.

y/n pov

"i know" i heard kuroo mumble under his breath. i looked up at him to see a small weak smile drawn across his face. i cocked my head, but i brushed it off, deciding to focus my energy onto the incredible ramen.

'he knew i liked it' i thought as i finished up the last few drops of the soup. 'was he really my boyfriend?' i looked down once more.

"eh sorry i got a text, my sister just called i need to meet her... it's an emergency" kenma said as he looked up from his phone. he pulled out his wallet and left just enough out for his meal, before dashing out of the restaurant.

it was now just me and kuroo. the silence was killing me but i didnt know how to say anything.

"are you done? shall we go.." kuroo said softly. i jolted at his sudden speech but nodded. kuroo placed some money on the table, just as i was about to place mine. "it's ok i'll pay" he said before he stood up and signaled to the waiter that we were leaving.

i got up and followed behind him and out of the restaurant. since you had left the hospital you realised he wasnt as weird and creepy as you thought, he was probably more in shock and just sad then. now he was more timid and quiet, seeming as if he was a bother to me.

as i walked next to him, i looked down at my feet and then his.

"y/n chan... do you really not remember?" he said shakily. his breath all over the place. i continued to look down, but i shook my head. i couldnt help but feel so bad for him. i wouldnt be able to imagine a loved one forgetting me either, but i just didnt know.

"im sorry" i replied before kuroo stopped in his tracks. "is there anything i can do for you to remember" he asked. i was taken aback. not sure how to answer to a request like that. "i dont know..." i said. i really didnt feel anything towards him, let alone any affection. i had just met him today... you cant fall in love with someone you just met.

but you knew kuroo had known you for god knows how long. it was hurting him, but you didnt want to give yourself away just because of him.

"i know i might've been your girlfriend before all this happened... and i know it probably is super painful to know i don't remember you. i truly dont want to hurt you but i need you to understand that im not comfortable right now with this... idea" i began, i looked down, not wanting to see his

reaction. however i could sense the hurt in his presence. i hated making him feel this way but there was nothing i could do.

"i know you are a good person and none of this is your fault... so im hoping we could just start over... as friends ?" i said and i looked up, to see him staring at his feet, but tears falling to form water drops on the floor. i gulped.

kuroo wiped his tears, and looked up, his eyes red and cheeks stained with tears. how long had he been crying? he nodded, agreeing to the proposal. i could tell he was still hurt and probably nothing could make him feel better, but i didnt understand how much i meant to him, not one single bit.

as the two of us walked back to the apartment, kuroo dropped me off at my room before saying goodbye for the day. i moved to my room and sat on my bed, everything was now so complicated and i was honestly quite grateful to have kenma by my side to help me, i think he's quite a good friend... and kuroo too.

timeskip-

i had gotten a new phone later that day and i only had two contacts other than my parents, kenma and kuroos. it was quite funny to be honest, to only have two guys contacts.

ding ! your phone chimed, kenma texted you

kenma/: hey i know you dont remember them but the guys want to meet you and play volleyball with you again.
kenma/: is friday okay? it's ok kuroo and i will introduce you.

'the guys? who are they?' i wondered. 'it didnt really matter, if it was someone i knew i might as well...' i thought before replying him with agreement.

the guys huh? volleyball ?