chapter 9

y/n pov
"hey time to get up" you heard a voice from above you. your eyes fluttered open only to see kenma standing at the side of the bed. you whined, still wanting to sleep longer. "it's 11am y/n you slept to much" you pulled the covers over your eyes blocking out the light and you groaned. "so you dont wanna go to the arcade then ?" kenma said as he chuckled. you shot up from under the covers and pulled yourself out of bed, remembering that you were going to the arcade today. you now had more time to spend with kenma.

you walked over to the washroom to clean up before walking down to the kitchen where kenma and kuroo were. "here's some omelet" kuroo said as he slid you a plate of breakfast that he seemed to have cooked. you nibbled a little on the egg and you fell in love with how good it was. your eyes lit up and you gobbled it down quickly. once you were done, you helped to wash up and you grabbed your belongings as you walked out the door with kuroo and kenma.

you and kenma walked next to each other and kuroo walked behind the two of you. "what games are there at the arcade?" you asked a little too excited and kenma replied. "you'll see" and you three continued walking.

timeskip-

once you reached the arcade, kuroo quickly paid the entrance fees and you walked in. you had forgotten to bring your wallet but kuroo offered to pay for you, his treat. it was a nice gesture from him, you thought.

as you tailed behind kenma to one of the games, you thought about your plan for the day. hopefully it would go smoothly. kenma and you approached a shooting game, one where you had to shoot zombies. kenma put in some coins and passed you the other gun. "this is fun let's play"
he said and you got your game face on. you had to shoot the red zombies and he had to shoot thr blue ones. whoever shot more would win.

"im so gonna win" you announced before it even started. you knew for sure you were gonna beat him. you clicked on the trigger aggressively, killing each zombie in your way on the screen. it was exhilarating, but when you turned to kenma he only showed a calm look with small hints of concentration. as you looked back you realised his score had drastically increased since then and you were about to loose.

"that's not fair" you whined and kenma laughed as he killed the last few, earning himself the winning status. you pouted and kenma chuckled before you pulled him over to an air hockey table. "i think im good a this" you declared and kenma put in the coins. he shrugged, causing your excitement and competitiveness to rise in you. you would win this round for sure.

the two of you played aggressively, pushing the puck from one end of the table to the other whilst blocking the goal. it was intense and the puck stayed well on the table, neither sides letting it pass through.

kuroo pov
i sat on the racing game with my hands on the steering wheel. i hadnt put in any coins yet and my eyes were only fixated on kenma and y/n. the two of them seemed to be having an incredible time together and it sent a wave of grief down my spine. the smile on y/n's face was so genuine and it was the same one she wore when we were together. i couldnt help but cringe, not wanting her to have that same happiness around any one else. but it wasnt up to me, and there was nothing i could do.

"hi are you using this right now?" i heard a voice from behind me and i turned to reveal a small boy. "oh yea sorry, here" i said as i stood up while scratching the back of my neck, a tad bit embarrassed that i was hogging the steering wheel. i stood up and walked to a game nearer to y/n and kenma. they were still playing the air hockey aggressively and i peered over to see kenma in the lead. y/n was flustered and she wanted to win, i watched as she pushed the puck hard across and into the goal, earning herself another point. i just watched in silence, not really in the mood to play anything.

i watched as the sleeves of my hoodie slid down her arms and covered her hands, reducing her range of motion on the hockey table. it was adorable how big it was on her and she kept pulling them back up. i felt a small drop of happiness at the base of my heart, knowing she was still clinging on to something of me. i just wanted her to remember, and throw this nightmare away.

timeskip-
y/n pov

as the last puck stood in the centre of the table, you used all your strength to push the puck towards kenma's goal. you had never had so much fun in your entire life, there wasnt anytime you recalled having this much joy and fulfillment. not that you remembered much anyways. it confirmed your thoughts and you were going to go through with your plan.

"let's take a break" kenma said softly as he brought you to the vending machine at the corner of the arcade. kuroo walked slowly over as well but kept a distance. he stopped in his tracks before leaning against a nearby wall, looking around the arcade as he waited for you and kenma to get your drinks.

kenma passed you a few coins to lend you and you pressed on the keypad getting yourself a bottle of energy drink. you stood still, contemplating and you turned around to face kenma.

"kenma kun, i have something to tell you..." you began as kenma took sips from his drink. he looed up at you and hummed, expecting you to continue. your cheeks flushed before you blurted out.

"i...i... really like you kenma"

kuroo pov
i stood by the wall as i gazed around the arcade waiting for kenma and y/n to finish getting their drinks.

"kenma kun, i have something to tell you.." i heard y/n's voice and i froze. she sounded very serious. 'please dont be what i think it is' i prayed as i scrunched my nose. it was silent for a while before kenma hummed. i couldnt bear to look in her direction now. my heart was racing and it was starting to hurt.

"i...i... really like you kenma" y/n said and my whole body was still. it was the last thing i ever wanted to hear come out of y/n's mouth but it did and it hurt so bad. i felt my eyes water. 'this is it, this is the end for me' i thought. there was no

going back now and i knew y/n and i had no chance of being together again. i looked over at the corner of my eye and saw y/n's cheeks bright red as she stared at the ground while kenma's eyes met mine. i shook my head and sniffed before running towards the bathroom.

i pushed the stall door open and locked it behind me as sat down on the cover of the toilet seat. my chest was pounding and it was beating too fast for me to stop. i just wanted to curl up into a ball and stay there. there wasnt anyone else i wanted to be with than y/n. she was the only one who could make me happy.

it was all a lost cause now