Chapter 27

A string of curses drew me from my reading. Rolling my eyes, I followed them and spotted my brother round the corner glaring at his fist and then at the hole he had punched in the wall. I peered at him from behind the vase as he continued grumbling amongst himself. I had never seen him like this, he was always busy with work but never tired or frustrated. This was different. Just as he was about to land another punch on the poor wall, I decide to save it.

" Another hole and mom isn't going to spare you, Nick. We just got this part of the castle painted. "

He turned to me, annoyance brimming in his honey eyes. "Yeah, " he sighed, " you're right. "

" What's wrong? " I leaned on my toes, tilting my head, " You are acting... ", my eyes trailed towards the dust falling from hole he had punched,

" foolish. "

He chuckled and wrapped an arm around my shoulders and began walking down the hall.

" An apt word for my behaviour, Pony. "

When I glanced at him with confusion he gave me a secret smile, " Love makes you do foolish things my dear. "

I laughed at his words, " What do you know of love, Nick? "

But my teasing stopped when I noticed his cheeks turning a darker shade at my question, " Oh my! "

" Yeah no.... It's not- "

" Who is she?! Is she your mate? Is she from here? When did you guys meet? What is she like? Can I meet her? " I bombarded my brother, making him shut everytime he opened his mouth.

" Shhh! " Covering my mouth with his hand, he motioned me to keep quiet. " No one knows and I want it to stay that way for the time being. " He whispered.

" But why? " I whispered back.

" Because I haven't won her yet. " His voice was filled with frustration.

" Won her? " I squeaked, making him wince and shush me again.

Giving him a sheepish smile, I continued, " Why? Isn't she your mate? Why would you have to win her? "

" She is Pony, but our bond is God's gift and I have to prove it to her that I am worthy of that gift, worthy of her. " He rubbed the back of his neck cutely, nervousness rolling off in waves from him.

His words and behaviour warmed my heart just as I was about to let out a small 'awww', a voice made us jump.

" Pray tell, my children, what are you two whispering about, crouching in the corner like that? "

" Nothing! "

" Sibling's secret! "

We both yelled simultaneously and stared wide-eyed at our mother who was standing at the entrance with her hands on her hips and a perfectly arched brow. The expression on her face was something only a mother could make when she knew her children were up to no good. It was as if we were kids again, caught red-handed doing a mischief.

Funny how small things, like scent, music, gestures make us travel down the memory-lane, even words.

" Mate. "

A simple word had tilted my world upside down. I couldn't hear anything that followed, all I could hear was the ringing in my ears as I stumbled and fell back on my chair. Someone touched my arm, but I didn't see. My vision was blurred from all the unshed tears and I was heaving exhilarated and suffocated at the same time as his scent dominated my sense of smell. My mind was blank, my vampire restless but my heart? It was hurting, a lot. Only now did I realise why I was suffering so much from his betrayal, all those pangs and episodes of excruciating pain, he was my mate, my mate who had broken me.