Chapter 42

You still love him.

I looked up surprised from the layout I was working on. Byron leaned against the frame of my office entrance.

Gee thanks for knocking, your Majesty.

Ignoring my disapproving glower, he slid into the seat before me and regarded me expressionlessly; taping the arm of his chair.

Answer me.

Keeping my eyes on the work at hand, I answered slowly, I didnt know there was anything to answer, from what I heard, you didnt ask a question; you gave a statement.

Finally meeting his eyes, I leaned back on my plush chair, my fingertips pressed against one another and elbows resting on the desk, What do you want Byron?

A confirmation.

Your mood changes faster than the wind. One moment you are asking my hand in marriage other moment you are asking me to give my mate a chance another moment you are kissing me-

I am not a newling who acts impulsively Epione, I know what I want and what I am working for. Storm threatened to brew as he glared at me.

Then tell me Byron, my voice came out equally clipped, what do you want?

I want you to answer me, do you love him?

Now were asking. I smirked.

Princess Laskaris. He growled warningly.

He killed my brother.

You do not know certainly.

Steven said he brought him to his death. What does that mean?

It doesnt guarantee Prince Dorian as the murderer.

However, it does guarantee he was involved in it.

You think he could have single handedly killed your brother? The great Nicholas Laskaris, the legend? Raising a pointed brow, he sighed and stood up.

My eyes followed him as he strolled towards the window overlooking the fighting grounds, For someone who knew him better than herself, you sure lack at giving him due credit.

Gripping the windowsill, he stood with his tense back towards me. Heavy silence engulfed us, he was lost in his thoughts whereas I was struggling to come up with something to say; to prove myself right.

To find an excuse to push away Dorian.

What is it to you? I finally asked, Why are you advocating Dorian? Why is everyone advocating him? I understand King Terrances plight but you and Carl? Why?

I was struggling to keep my emotions in check as I walked and stopped right behind him, waiting for him to turn.

Because for someone who fell in love with him before your bond kicked in, you surely dont cut your mate enough slack. Glancing at me briefly, he turned back.

What I do and what I do not do with him, is none of your business, king Byron.

He chuckled and faced me, leaning against the window. Our position reminded me of the night he proposed the marriage to me. The window, him calm and collected and me burning.

Did you talk to him about it?

Yes, and he doesnt remember. I scowled when he laughed. Whats funny?

He doesnt remember so he can get the benefit of doubt and there is no proof or witness he committed the crime and he hasnt admitted guilty either.

Well I hesitated, there is one witness, I guess?

Steven? Byron narrowed his eyes, Carl, his own son, told you not to believe him. You have to give him a chance Princess Laskaris, you owe it to yourself.