Chapter 38

"Again?"

High King paused, "What do you mean again?"

"I.. I- he missing Thunder Crest.." I couldn't speak properly. It all felt so distant, I felt like I was back at Thunder Crest where I had returned to my room only to find Dorian missing. The worry and fear that had once taken over me, was back again. "How is that possible? Wasn't he with you the entire night?"

"He was. Mingling with the guests, acting as the perfect crown prince but-"

"He was on edge."

Another fretting look my way, "Yes, I went to fetch a blood cocktail to sooth his nerves and when I returned, he was gone. No one knows where he might be. I have soldiers swarming the grounds for him, as discreetly as possible. But it's not enough."

I just stared at him silently.

"I am scared, I can't lose my son. I just got him back, Epione. You are his mate; you can find him. Will you," He held my cold sweaty hands in his large ones, "help find my son?"

I wasn't looking at High King Terrance. No, before me was a man, broken, defeated and scarred, who had lost his everything once long ago and was about to lose it all over again. The face of my father flashed through my eyes. Everyone deserved a chance at happiness, mine and Dorian's fate was undecided but his father's wasn't. Determination over powering my fear, I squeezed his hands,

"What do I have to do?"

"Let your vampire take over, she will find a way to get to him."

Nodding, I did just that. Lost all my senses and control to my predator. Stretching like a cat, I flexed my neck and watched as the King retreated to be a good host masking the worried father inside him. I caught dad's gaze and tilted my head towards his old friend, silently telling him to accompany him, leaving a drowsy Raph with Byron and Carl. By the time either of them could spot me, I was gone, looking for the traces of my mate.

The night breeze was mixed with dry coppery scent of the drinks that were being circulated among the guests. But I wasn't looking for it, what I was looking for was that wet earthy tonic which soothed away all my worries. My mind was in a temporary closed state, my vampiric reflexes taking over entirely. I did not know how much time had passed nor where I was heading, all I felt was a frenzy, my vampire knew what it was doing. The air howling in my ears subsided as I slowed down to standstill. I strained my senses to search my surroundings, nothing was out of ordinary. The forest was filled with the chirping of insects and occasional distressed sounds of birds that had their feathers ruffled due to one reason or another.

No scent, no sound, nothing

I started walking along a familiar path, something told me to continue as I tried to remember the reason behind its familiarity. It wasn't until that heavenly smell mixed with the heaviness of water, hit me that I realized.

The holy cave!

I broke into another run, breezing through the trees and bushes till I reached the mouth of the cave. My feet remained glued there, clouds of uncertainty looming over my better judgement. He was in there, I knew it but whether I should go in, I was so sure. His father wanted me to find him, I did. I didn't have to go in.

I shouldn't

But I wanted to see for myself if he was alright. I would have spent the entire night contemplating had it not been for a pair of red eyes that suddenly shone through the dark of the cave. We kept staring, both unmoving and suddenly they were gone, followed by a splash. Entering the cave, I found it the same, untouched legend scriptures basking in the unearthly glow of the moonlight. Ripples running from the centre of water told me where he had jumped.