Chapter 12

I felt like a feather, dancing in the air, swaying leisurely. Waves of calm washed over me as I suddenly felt something cool slide along my spin. As if the feather had landed softly on water. I woke with a gasp as small droplets of water fell on my face. Looking around, my eyes took some time to adjust to darkness and once they did, I realized that I was back in the prison cell. I winced when something hard poked my leg, I was sitting on the worn out mattress whose springs were jabbing me.

Getting off the mattress, I looked around and saw the woman curled on the far corner, on the floor with a bundle of blanket tightly clutched in her arms. She was trying to keep it from getting soaked in the rain that was entering the room through the ventilator.

Every time I saw her, she looked weaker and more lifeless but somehow, still managed to have this air of beauty and grace around herself that never failed to mesmerise me. Despite the lack of life in her body, her soul had more life and fight in it than anyone I had ever seen. It burnt bright with will power and strength, unparalleled and her eyes being the windows to her soul, burnt bright green.

She was staring through the ventilator absently, when the pile of blanket wiggled, making her arms tighten around it. After a bit more wiggling, it stopped and then a cute head poked out, with a pout on his lips.

" Momma! I can't breath! " Came a whining voice.

The boy looked around five and nothing was clearly visible in the dark except for his sweet emerald eyes which, just like his mother's, were bright with life. The child didn't appear to be as healthy as I would like, but given the circumstances, he was healthy enough. His mother had done a remarkable job in raising him.

Looking at her son, she laughed, " Forgive me Im vordi. " Her voice was rich and her accent thick.

Her accent seemed familiar, but I couldn't put a finger on where I had heard it before.

Kissing his nose, she caressed his cheek, " Can't sleep? "

Shaking his head, he tried to wiggle out of the blanket. He was half way out when the entire room lite up with lightening and a loud thunder bellowed after it. Jumping, he went back inside the protection of the blanket the same way he tried coming out. I and his mother both smiled at his antics with amusement.

Funny how the little boy thought that the holed blanket could offer him protection of any sorts when in reality it was the comfort of his mother's arms that he unknowingly craved.

" I don't like storms momma, they are bad. They scold the sky and make it cry. " He said meekly, thrusting his lower lip out.

" Life is a boat Im vordi, and you are its captain. You have to learn to brave all forms of storms if you want your boat of life to remain afloat. " She chimed, sitting up and placing him in her lap, facing the ventilator.

She told him about the joys of rain and the fun it carries. I walked around and sat in front of them with my back against the wall. I could see an expression of longing to start build up on his face as he eagerly heard about all the games he could play in rain.

Tears stung my eyes thinking that he had spent the past 5 years of his life cramped in this prison cell. A child needs to go outside and enjoy in the open without any chains, it's all the more necessary for a vampire child as they need open spaces to run and use their strengths. And here he was, a caged bird.

Sensing the sadness of her child, the woman tapped his crown making him look up at her, " Don't lose your spirit my child, you will enjoy it all, one day. One day, you will be free to go where ever your heart wants and will have friends and someone who would love you like no other. "