Chapter 25

I was standing by the castle gates, observing as King Byron climbed his steed, throwing directions to his soldiers. Once done, he made his way towards me.

" Safe journey your Majesty. " I nodded at him.

" Thank you and, " He stared intently at me for a moment or two, " Best of Luck. "

This bloomed a smile on my face. I motioned the gates to be opened, clearing the way for his departure. With a final nod, he left, disappearing into the early morning mist that lingered near the forest.

Turning back, gazing at the castle as the rays of the rising sun painted it in hues of orange and pink, I prepared myself for what was to come. From today, I would be taking over the office, looking into the treaties, policies, and overlook the smooth functioning of the kingdom.

Already having had breakfast, I made my way towards the office, which was earlier occupied by my father. Stopping in front of its doors, I sighed and kept staring at it. When I didn't move for a while, Jeffery leaned towards me as Chaz opened the door for me.

" You will do great, your Majesty. " With a smile, Jeffery opened the other door.

Their trusting smiles gave me courage to step in and occupy the leather chair behind the desk. In shifts, they agreed that one of them will be stationed inside with the other standing next to the door, along with the other guards. Staring at the mountain of files on the desk, I gulped discreetly and looked wide eyed at Chaz who raised a brow at me, hiding his smile.

I sat up straight with my jaw set and picked up the file on the top,

" Let's do this. " Murmuring, I opened it.

It was a case file that pleaded on improving the housing conditions of the poorer side of the human settlements. The storms had flooded their homes, resulting in the collapsing of few weak houses. Seeing how it was the season of rains, the matter needed to be prioritized. I sent out the necessary instructions for the need of rehabilitation and medical attention and opened the next file.

The entire afternoon was spent with me going through the files, I had my lunch brought up to me as I was too engaged to leave the office. Somewhere in the late afternoon, there was a knock at the door. I leaned back with a small smile, thinking it to be either father or my son, but was proven wrong when an aged man walked in.

Without letting the smile slip, I stood and walked in his direction, giving him a side hug.

" Malcom. " I greeted him, " How have you been? "

" I have been good my Queen, how is the crown treating you? " He asked, his eyes crinkling.

" It's heavy, " I said patting my head playfully as I reoccupied my seat.

" Indeed it is, " Chuckling, he sat in front of me.

With a nod, I asked, " What brought our dear old advisor here? "

" It's the traders and merchants. " I sensed the hesitation in his voice.

" What about them? " I leaned forward, clasping my hands.

" They are requesting for more land. "

I raised my brows, " Is the market in city not enough? "

" They want to expand further but seeing the lack of availability of commercial lands, they are requesting for some portion of the forest to be cut and given to them. " He stopped when he saw my expression change.

" Forest shall remain untouched. " The finality in my tone made him look at me worriedly.

" But how will we accommodate the increasing population and its demands? "