Chapter 3

Since forever, I had been handled and raised with utmost care and love. My parents despite holding their title, never failed to shower me with their attention. They had been there every step of the way, supporting me, teaching me and cherishing me. They never failed in their duties towards me, neither did Nicholas.

After the whole fiasco with the slavemaster, the journey back home was quick. Raph had fallen asleep on the way while my new slave was being escorted right behind us. I still couldn't fathom the reason behind the effect his eyes had on me but regardless, keeping Raph comfortable was my utmost priority.

Currently, I was standing in front of the same portrait in my room like every other evening as Raph slept soundly in my sheets. All the candles and torches had been lit, so had my chandelier. The slave was now being groomed in the servants quarters, something I considered highly necessary remembering his greased skin, heavy beard and wild locks. He would be presented before me shortly after he's done.

Meanwhile, my eyes drifted to the man next to me in the portrait. His smile being completely infectious managed to conjure my own, even though it didn't reach my eyes. King Nicholas Laskaris was the strongest and most kind man I had the pleasure of knowing and being loved by. Don't let anyone make you think otherwise, he was protective and loyal to his loved ones and at the same time fierce and lethal for his enemies. The most promising ruler ever to walk on this earth, he was everyone's favourite and pride of this kingdom, even the High King Terrance Van Doren was fond of him which was saying something. He was perfect in my eyes, perfectly annoying and loving.

I still remember how protective he was during my first ball.

I was standing by the table, simply sipping a flask of blood, content by myself when suddenly a tall man approached me.

" May I have this dance my Lady? " He drawls lazily catching my attention. His otherwise black iris having a taint of red radiating an alluring dark aura.

" I'm not sure I am a good dance partner, dear sir. " I tried to politely warn but he didn't back down and stayed.

" Oh no your Highness, I truly insist. " Stepping towards me, he invaded my personal space, making me flush but before I could reply, I felt an arm gently wrap around me, making me instantly relax with the sense of security their mere presence brought.

" What she means is she can't because she's my partner for the night. " Nicholas added calmly but it wrung with a tone of finality.

His red-black eyes widened as he stared at the pair of authoritative honey ones, swiftly bowing he rushed, " My apologies King Nicholas, I didn't know she was with your Majesty. "

Tightening his hold on me, Nicholas nodded at him. Once, we were alone I ignored him and tried to go and fetch myself another glass of blood but was held back.

" Why are you troubling me Nick? " I threw him annoyed look and tried to leave again.

Pulling me back, he laughed, " I'm not annoying you Pony, I am saving all these gullible men from your wrath. "

Turning around, I swiftly faced him, " My wrath? Or yours! I am completely sure you are doing this because you don't want to make a scandal stating how King Nicholas Laskaris of Fang Peak beheaded a poor vampire who tried to get a little too cozy with me. "

His smile dropped as I spoke those words and he simply shrugged, " Those fools should know better than to think that they can flock around my Pony just like that. " Gone was his teasing, now his tone only held dark promises of punishment.

" Exactly " I poked my finger on his chest, " So you don't blame me, your royal Majesty take up the blame. "

I let out a huff when he stopped, yet again, another of my attempts to fetch my drink.