Chapter 14

We were supposed to reach the castle of Thunder Crest by late afternoon but our little break by the lake had delayed our arrival till evening. The ball was scheduled to start in late evening, which left us with little time to get ready. The guards and the servants of the castle were quick to escort me and my crew to the guest quarters and once I was there, Sofia and Meredith wasted no time to draw me a bath and get me ready.

In the meanwhile I got ready in the bathroom, Jeffery and Chaz were stationed inside the room with four other guards standing outside, three joined the patrols of the castle, two remained with the horses while the remaining stationed themselves by the ballroom.

Dorian was in the adjust room getting cleaned and ready. I was well aware how much he looked forward to this ball as it was his first time, so I had requested him to be escorted as soon as he was ready, knowing, with all the getting ready, I will reach well after the opening and I didn't want to keep him waiting.

Hours later, I stood in front of the dressing mirror in the bathroom as Sofia hurriedly rummaged through the trunk, looking for my jewellery. All the cleansing and lotions had done their magic, making my skin absolutely radiant. I ran my eyes over my reflection starting from my feet, which were adorned in silver heels; hidden under my midnight blue gown, up along the length of its voluminous skirt to the basque waistline which was covered with different sized rhinestone stars. My bodice had the same stonework with small stars and suns lined along my V-neck, the stones extended down to the waistline with moons on the either side. My same coloured netted floor-length cape with the similar stone work was clipped over my collar bones adding to the beauty of my dress. Through the reflection, I could see the sapphire of my eyes shinning vibrantly against the gown.

" Found it finally. " Murmuring, Sofia walked up to me, opening the small wooden jewellery box.

Taking out a platinum branched head band, she adjusted it around my forehead, taking care not to mess my Dutch braid. It had diamonds covering its leaves and its three large tear-drop shaped diamonds rested over the centre of my forehead and over my temples. According to the tradition of Fang Peak, only the Queen wore the crown, the princess wore head bands but once coronated, I would have to wear both as the head of the queen is never left bare.

Smiling with appreciation towards Sofia and Meredith, I thanked them and walked out of the bathroom. Spotting me, both Chaz's and Jeffery's eyes widened.

" You look beautiful, your Highness. " Jeffery smiled at me while Chaz gave me a thumbs up.

" Thank you my dears, the credits go to these pretty women over here. " I curtsied, tilting my head towards my maids who blushed from the compliment.

As we stepped out, I turned to my soldiers stationed outside my room.

" As half of you will accompany me to the ball, I want the remaining half to take shifts throughout the evening till I return, standing inside and guarding the two ladies in the room. Make sure they are safe and comfortable and no one is allowed to enter except us or Dorian. " They bowed and one of them slipped inside the doors, as per the command.

Exhaling I gave Jeffery and Chaz a small smile.

" Let's do this. "

Together, we marched down the hallway with confidence and authority. Music filled the air as we neared the ballroom. The guards bowed and opened the doors for me, nodding at them I stepped in, only to freeze with shock at the scene unfolding in the centre.

My frozen state had many contributors anger, shock, confusion but what dominated them was fear. A group of vampires had cornered Dorian and one of them was holding him by his neck, forcing him on his knees. I feared for his well being and feared what I might do if they didn't stop.