Chapter 44

I wasnt back in the prison cell, instead I was lying on the forest floor. Frowning, I got to my feet, dusting myself and pulling a twig from my hair. I wasnt done talking to Nick yet, I wasnt ready to leave. Not now, perhaps not ever. A part of me was wondering if it all was a dream or if I really had the power to talk to the dead. The chilly breeze tore me out of my thoughts and tired silence of the night gave me an idea of the ungodly hour it was. I scanned the familiar territory, drawing a shaky breath when I realised it was the forest touching Fang Peak.

I had no idea as to why I was here but one thing was certain, there wasnt going to be another visit from the dead. I climbed the tree in front of me and leaned against its trunk, looking up at the sky. The stars twinkled beautifully, making me get lost in them momentarily. A groan brought my attention back to the ground. There was a shadow darting, rather clumsily but clever enough to not step on anything that would give it away.

It was fast. Maybe a vampire.

Cleary injured.

I stilled when its gleaming red eyes ran over its surrounding and held my breath when I felt their sizzling weight. But they slid past me as if I wasnt there.

And so I wasnt. I thought as the realisation dawned on me. I was in the past.

My neck whipped in the opposite direction where I could hear distant footsteps. The shadowed figure in front of me, following suit. It let out a low growl and dashed off. In a flash I was off the branch and following it, something in me was urging me to do so.

Whoever it was, was fast, making it hard for me to keep up. It had definitely out ran its pursuers as their sounds seized reaching us. We had been running for quite some time now but the vampire in front of me made no moves of slowing down. We were running in the opposite direction of the castle. We went for another few meters when the figure in front of me was tackled harshly to the floor.

I stumbled to a stop, my eyes widening on spotting the crest of the royal guards of Fang Peak. Not just any guards, Nicks guard. I identified Gadwigs grim face as he stepped forward to take in the stranger that had been immobilised on his knees.

What is it Gadwig? We dont have time! My wife is in labour! Nicks impatient words filled my heart with dread.

It was the night Raph was born, the night Nick got killed.

This is what he meant by the parting gift. He couldnt tell me what happened, so he sent me to see it.

What made him think it was a good idea? How could I survive seeing him die?

Your Majesty, we have a suspicious intruder.

Say what? Nicks frustration spoke volumes. He had a frown etched on his handsome face as he appeared in front of me.

Nick I whispered longingly but off course no one heard me.

He looked exactly similar to the Nick who had sent me here.

He is injured. Another guard stated.

Show me his face. Nick commanded.

The guard walked behind the captive and pulled his hood back making me gasp.

Dorian bared his fangs, his red eyes glaring right into Nicks. The fact that he didnt cover away from royalty took everyone by surprise but not Nick. He frowned, confusion filling his eyes.

There is something wrong with you, I smell human in you. But you are a vampire. Youre not healing either.

That made Dorian pause, the glowing of his eyes softened. His predator feeling less threatened for some reason.