the fine art of bullshitting

tommy's next few months at the watson residence was basically like the first few weeks. it awkward, but much more relaxed. he exchanged a few more sentences a day with phil and techno, even to the point where he'd laugh at phil's truly terrible dad jokes. every now and again he'd join them in movie night (though he usually sat closest to the stairs and left before the movie was quite over)

come december, four months after tommy had joined the family, he and wilbur had yet to make up. they barely even spoke. wilbur was trying to make things right. he never directly apologized, but on his night to choose movies, he always chose pixar films (he'd learned tommy was quite fond of them) when he was a horror fan himself. he'd offer to do dishes on tommy's night. he'd offer to help with history or geography homework. tommy always denied, and usually gave him the cold shoulder, which infuriated wilbur.

well, infuriated wasn't quite the right word. wilbur was more than aware that he completely deserved this. he'd heard the damn near panic attack he'd caused. he really hadn't meant to, and he wasn't really a terrible brother. he was just a kid who was scared of losing his fathers affection. that was understandable, right? 

right?

actually an okay brother or not, tommy wanted nothing to do with wilbur. the guy was basically eighteen anyways. he'd probably move out. or tommy would get himself kicked out. either was probable.

although the majority of his family was okay they wouldn't be what he missed if he had to leave. (probably) you'd have to drag him kicking and screaming away from his friends. tommy was a big man, but a big man who wasn't afraid of saying how much he loved his friends. 

while the months with his family passed uneventfully, the months with his friends were never boring.

september, for example. in september, tommy began eating meals with his family regularly. he did dishes every third day, and the first day it was actually fucking too cold to walk to school, he asked that phil drove he and tubbo to school. (the rest of the time it was too cold, dream drove them, which was always… an experience) that was it. he wasn't making much of a conversation, and he had to to try antd join in on any of that movie night family bonding bullshit. 

on september seventeenth, tommy had learned why dream wore a mask. he'd properly asked phil if he could go to tubbo's house, and the man agreed. easy as that. this was the first time that either of them had gone to the others house and it was mildly awkward at first. then tubbo had told tommy it was just the two of them there, because dream was at track practice or something, and his parents were away on business somewhere. 

the atmosphere quickly became a lot more laid back, and being the two teenage boys they were, they headed towards the kitchen.

"oh! i know what we could do!" tubbo said as he opened the fridge. "we should try and make cookies! like niki's!"

"toby, niki's family is bakers and we're idiots," tommy pointed out uncertainly. he didn't know about tubbo, but he for one, had never tried making cookies from scratch like niki did. he didn't trust himself with getting the right amount of ingredients, and he loved tubbo to death, but that bitch couldn't read for shit, which did seem like a bit of a must with baking.

"you make a fair point," tubbo agreed, staring into the fridge for a moment longer before pulling out some store bought pre-made cookie dough. he wasn't sure who had gotten it or why they'd gotten it, considering he and dream never cooked anything and his parents weren't around often enough to do it either, but it was really fucking convenient. "what if we just made this stuff and say we made it from scratch?" he proposed.

"see, toby, this is why we're friends. you have amazing ideas. sometimes," tommy hopped up on the counter to sit, rather than sitting at the dining table like four feet away. no real reason, other than the fact that he's a goblin and all.