the first time he kinda believed

“hey! sorry it took me a minute to call, we’re talking about the hottest jonas brother. don’t really know how we got here,” tubbo explained. tommy could tell that they were talking about the hottest jonas brother, because he was getting like seventy texts per second.

“right, that’s reasonable,” tommy responded, keeping his voice low enough so that wilbur next door (he’d heard him come quietly up the stairs not long after he himself had) couldn’t hear him. “gimme a second,” he added on, shuffling for a moment as he found his headphones, then plugged them in so that he could actually look at his phone while talking to tubbo without putting him on speaker. “kay, i’m good. now tell me about your friends before i start talking,” tommy demanded. now he was in control of a situation, which was exactly how he liked things. he liked it, and apparently tubbo didn’t really mind it, and he had a lot to say about his friends. there were three that were in this group chat. fundy, niki, and eret.

fundy was two years above them, and was meant to graduate at the end of this school year. he was super fucking smart (had apparently skipped a year) and was amazing at coding. he was from the netherlands before he moved to england, which was pretty cool. his real name wasn’t fundy, it was floris (tommy could see why he went by fundy, he’d probably go by a nickname too if his name was floris) he was also friends with wilbur. apparently the older boy saw him as like, a younger brother or a son or something despite only being a few months older. tubbo didn’t know why, and tommy didn’t even wanna think about wilbur, thus leading them to talk about the next person.

niki was one year older than them. she moved to their school from germany, and was really the only girl from their friend group, not that she seemed to mind. tubbo really liked niki. said that not only did she help him with his english and history homework during lunch and after school (he was okay in both subjects, but the excessive amount of reading proved pretty hard with his dyslexia) but she also loved bringing home baked goods for her friends. tommy was pretty sure that tubbo said that her family owned a bakery or something. he thought that was pretty cool.

eret was last in the friend group. just like the other two, tubbo had nothing but good things to say. he had a (and tommy quotes) ‘super cool deep voice that made him sound like a movie villain’. he was also proudly out and bi (he added on here that niki was as well) and was known in their school for painting his nails and wearing skirts. tommy respected that. he knew not many guys their age were comfortable enough with themselves to wear them. good on eret. 

“so, yeah. those are my friends,” tubbo wrapped up, looking back down at his phone. In the seven minutes it had taken to tell tommy about his friends, he’d received eighty messages. they really never shut the fuck up.

unlike tubbo, tommy had been watching the conversation. in the seven minutes, they’d gone from arguing over the hottest jonas brother to discussing which was better between high school musical and camp rock, though this conversation was pretty short lived because they all agreed high school musical was better (obviously) despite it’s utter lack of the jonas brothers. they were currently discussing the characters that were on their animal crossing islands (they had some newcomers since the last time they’d talked about it) and seeing which were the cutest. niki had said barold, and fundy appeared to be giving a detailed description as to why that was the single stupidest thing he’d ever heard. tommy had never really felt one way or another about barold, but fundy was convincing even him that the animal was not only ugly as fuck, but also had a bad personality. he liked these guys.

“they’re real… characters,” tommy said. “they seem cool. you think i should say something?” he asked.

“yeah, definitely! they think you sound cool too!” tubbo seemed thrilled with the fact that his new friend seemed to like his older friends.