the redemption(ish) arc of that one asshole. (part 1, the café)

wilbur turned back towards the road, sighing to himself. he knew tommy wasn't going to magically forgive him, because this wasn't some bullshit fairy tale, and shit didn't magically get better after a little ' im sowwy :( ' but fucking hell. he couldn't decide if he was angry at the world like it felt like, or if he was angry at himself, which did seem more reasonable. the world isn't the one that told tommy he wasn't gonna be a part of the family.

pressing the gas past the street that they needed to turn on to go to school was a bit of a on the spot decision. it wasn't unlike him to skip school, the shit was mad boring and it wasn't like he'd actually learned anything since he was like twelve, but it was unlike both tommy and techno. especially when it wasn't something that they wanted to do.

"uh, whatcha doin'?" techno asked, turning his head towards the street they should've turned down, then looking back over at wil. "you missed our turn," he pointed out. tommy looked from his window up to the front where wilbur and techno were sat, an eyebrow raised. he hadn't been paying much attention to the conversation, more occupied with the song in his head (an idle tune from animal crossing) and the falling snow he could see out the window, but he had heard 'missed turn' which had brought the able sisters theme to an abrupt stop.

"i was thinking we skip today. i mean, weathers shit anyways, we won't be the only one's gone," wilbur replied, tapping the steering wheel with a newfound rhythm. he glanced over at techno, who wore a skeptical expression.

"oh, come on. you and i both know that you've already finished your exams early," wilbur rolled his eyed. ooh look at me i'm not experiencing smart kid burnout and i'm happy-ish in life yeah sometimes wilbur wanted to punt his brother. like, he loved him, but he was a fucking pain. well, not really, but still. ugh smart kids.

"yeah but i have perfect attendance and i don't wanna ruin my streak, jerk," techno sneered.

"and helloo? i haven't finished my exams. i'm not einstein over here," tommy intervened quite rudely. wilbur rolled his eyes.

"like i said, we're not the only ones that aren't gonna be there, the snow is still coming down and the roads are shit. i'm like, at least ninety nine percent sure that they'll let you retake if you ask them," he said as if he hadn't a care in the world. wilbur was a bastard.

honestly? tommy didn't care about school. he was more than glad to skip some hard ass tests, but he'd definitely miss his friends while they were on vacation, and he'd really wanted to see tubbo. plus, niki wouldn't get to see that he was wearing the sweater she'd made for him. double plus, wilbur was a fucking bitch, and his will to live was solely based on spiting him.

"okay, asshole, then where exactly are you planning on taking us?" tommy asked with venom in his voice. he didn't have much of a choice, which was the main reason he didn't fight back. he wasn't very well going to fucken hop out of the car or something.

"i was thinking we grab breakfast. maybe a café down here or something," wilbur suggested. he was surprised this was going as well as it was. he'd definitely expected more bitching, but to be fair, no sixteen year old actually wanted to go to school for anything besides seeing their friends, and we're living in the 21st century, phones and facetime exist.

"is this kidnapping?" tommy asked techno, who contemplated this for a moment before shrugging.

"honestly? maybe." he agreed. he didn't know what exactly wilbur was trying to pull, but his brother acted in strange ways, and if kidnapping their younger brother from school to go and get some breakfast was some weird sort of bonding thing, he supposed he didn't have much of a choice but to just roll with it.

tommy grumbled to himself, sitting back in his seat and crossing his arms. damn, he really didn't want to go to school, and he had already scored high enough in his classes that he probably could pass without actually taking his finals. maybe he could relent on the bitching slightly, but only because he was more than okay with wilbur buying breakfast. the guy was a huge dick, but ya know, food.