16) The Bridge

Hange POV:

"I'm Home" I say. We both know I don't mean the place, I mean being back with him, Levi is my home. I stroke his hair as we cry. Its more tears of relief but its also tears of pain, tears of thinking we had lost each other and not living our lives out. I find myself smiling, knowing we now have the chance to make so many more memories. I wasn't supposed to leave the world like that, that wasn't my destiny, I have more I want to do, I need to contribute to saving humanity more. I needed more time with Levi, where we may one day be able to start a new life together. I was granted that time and I am grateful forevermore.

"You know Levi" I begin "When I First found out about my disease, I thought I would be another statistic, everyone would be fine and move on. I guess I made more of an impact than I ever imagined, especially on you"

"I don't know if I could've carried on if you hadn't come back to me" He says

"But you would've, for me you would've" I say "You're not just Humanities strongest physically but mentally too. I wouldn't let me stop that, you're brave and know its what I would want. You're human and you could be upset for as long as you needed for anyone, you could take time off if you wanted, but never give up. Devote your Heart. Always" I finish

"Well I won't let anything happen to you, not now I know how life feels without you" he says

"It was weird. I know my heart stopped beating, I was on the way to death in those moments but I kind of remember what I saw. It was a bridge, a bright coloured bridge, with signs, one saying life and the other saying death and pointing across the bridge and I was automatically being pulled to death, but something stopped me. Someone was holding onto my arm, not letting go, not letting me go and then everything went dark. that's what happened in those moments my pulse was no longer. I believe the hand was yours, I believe you kept me going." I say, thinking he is going to think I'm crazy.

"I would never let you go" he states, no disbelief in his voice

"I love you Levi. More than anyone or anything in this world. I will never leave you." I say, lifting my glasses up to look him in the eye, showing my vulnerability to him, opening myself up.

"I love you too Hange. I don't think I could love anyone or anything more than you and Im not going anywhere either" he says smiling, opening himself up too, showing his vulnerability too, showing his emotions. 

Its not the first time id seen him showing emotions and its not the first time he's seen me without my glasses on but this was different. It had a different meaning. it showed out trust to each other. Our belief. Our love.

"I'm surprised its me saying this, but get changed, we're going to sleep because you don't look like you've slept in weeks" I say

"It's been hard okay, what actually happened while you were there?" he says

"I had the operation, somehow they did it within a day of me getting there, well first things first they got my pulse going but I was unconscious still. I had the operation despite not having all the funds. I was asleep for 5 days after the operation and they didn't know if I was going to make it. then I awoke on the 7th day of being there but I couldn't contact here as they wouldn't let me, said that they don't do mail, so I had no choice to just sit there until I was allowed to be released, then finally 3 days ago they said I was going to be released the next day, then I kind of got over excited and exerted my lung a bit too much and it was a little bit of a set back, then today I was let out. Look at my bandage shorty" I lift up my shirt and show him the bandage on my stomach. I then gesture to a bottle on the floor "I also have to take 4 of these tablets a day for 4 weeks. Then I go back in 4 weeks and they check my progress and hopefully lower my dosage of pills and that will keep going until eventually I don't have to take any more. I was really uncomfortable for the first week but now I feel pretty fine."