17- Plot Twist

He hurried and tried to get dressed as fast and quiet as he could. He looked back at her sweet face and hoped she’d understand why he couldn’t keep his promise to wake her. Suddenly his phone rang and he answered it immediately because it was a blocked number.

Caller: “Why didn’t you tell me you were in town?”

Vinnie: “Who is this?”

Caller: “Seriously? I saw you in town leaving the burger place a few weeks ago.”

Vinnie: “Bryce?”

*END VINNIE’S POV*

All the ringing, rushing around and forced whispering dragged you out of your dreamland. You tried to hold onto the fleeting glimpses of happiness the dream brought you, but they faded away too quickly. Suddenly it hit you that you just heard Vinnie call the person who’s phone call had woken you up… Bryce. 

You: “Did you just say Bryce?”

Vinnie: “Look, I can explain.”

You: “Is that what you needed to tell me before? That you know Bryce?”

Vinnie: “He’s my brother.”

You sat up the rest of the way, fully wide-awake at this point. You scrambled to get dressed still in complete shock:
“WHAT?!”

Vinnie: “Please… Bryce has no clue who I work for. There’s more to what I needed to say.”

You: “And you expect me to believe it’s just a coincidence that you went to work for the crime family that is trying to take over the one that Bryce has worked at for years? Oh God.”

Vinnie: “No, Bryce works for my boss.”

You: *now shouting*
“There is no way. Bryce has been loyal to my family for 9 years. That’s how he got assigned to protect me. There’s no way he would team up against my father to go work for your boss.”

Vinnie: “When I came here, I planned to find Bryce but his boss found me first. I stole something from one of his stores and he offered to not press charges if I came to work for him.”

You: “None of this is making any sense. Slow down.”

Vinnie: “I agreed, under the condition that he didn’t tell my brother I was in town. He agreed and has kept me busy with work out of town… until you.”

You: “So Bryce is betraying my father? I don’t understand. If you don’t start making sense, I’m going to take that phone and make a run for it and call my father!”

Vinnie: “Your father IS my boss.”

You fell back in absolute shock:
“Wait, then who gave the order to have me held captive here for the last month.”

*DAD’S POV*

Mr. Gregg (Avani’s Dad) walked into the kitchen:
“What was so urgent, Marc?”

Dad: “It’s time.”

Mr. Gregg: “I don’t understand how I can help. You know I never involve myself with the dangerous part of your business.”

Dad: “Look, you’re the only one I trust and it’s crucial she thinks it was the Hossler family who was holding her.”

Mr. Gregg: “I get that you needed to keep her in the safehouse because you didn’t want her to go after Hossler’s son herself but are you sure it’s time? He’s still out there waiting for her.”

Dad: “It’s time she comes home.”

*END DAD’S POV*