50- Searching for Answers

You pushed your way past your security team as everyone tried to convince you to wait for Bryce. 

You: "If you all want to continue working tomorrow, I suggest you let me go."

Blake rushed through the security team:
"Woah. Woah. What's going on here?"

You: "I have somewhere I need to be

You: "I have somewhere I need to be."

Blake: "Whatever it is, let me come with you. Bryce'll flip on all of us if we let you go alone."

You: *opening your car door to climb in*
"I think you'd all be best to remember I sign your paychecks not Bryce and getting fired else be the least of what happens to you if you don't get away from my car."

Everyone stepped back in shock that you'd acted so cold because your kindness to your employees had been the reason so many begged to stay on after your father stepped down. You drove off into the night as Blake scrambled to reach Bryce.

You pulled up to an office building and headed straight down the hall towards the office with the double doors. You knew exactly where he'd be. 

Chase: "I knew you'd be back

Chase: "I knew you'd be back."

You: "I'm not doing this again. Where is Vinnie?"

Chase stepped closer and brushed your hair behind your ear:
"You weren't worried about Vinnie last week when you came here and kissed me."

You: "That was a mistake, so I'll ask one more time… WHERE IS MY HUSBAND?"

Chase pulled out his phone and handed it to you:
"Push play, it's surveillance video from a building I own."

You watched the video of Vinnie stumbling into an apartment with a beautiful girl putting her hands all over him. You could only guess what came next because 30 seconds after the door shut, all the lights clicked off. Chase was pouring a drink as you stuttered out:
"T- this was tonight?"

Chase handed you the drink and confirmed:
"Yes, at my sister's condo."

You chugged the drink as Chase poured a second one for you as well as one for himself. You were fighting the tears at the corner of your eyes as you pulled out your phone to call Vinnie again. You were shocked when the line answered on the second ring.

You: *telling out before he could even say hello*
"Vinnie? VINNIE! Where are you?"

Nessa: *in a raspy half asleep voice*
"Sorry, he's sleeping as I was for the record. Try back tomorrow."

The moment the line disconnected you called back again and it went immediately to voicemail. She'd turned off the phone. You screamed out a profanity in frustration before throwing your phone across the room and letting it shatter to the floor. You grabbed the second glass out of Chase's hand. Each gulp lulled you deeper into the memory flashing into your head.

You'd shown up at Chase's office, this same office last week in hopes of getting closure so he would stop messaging you. Over the last 5 years since your wedding, you hadn't really talked about the letter. On your first anniversary, Chase started messaging every few months just to check in with you.

It seemed harmless until you realized you were getting more and more intimate in the conversations and were starting to feel things you shouldn't. You had texted repeatedly to stop and even changed your number multiple times. Still the texts came until last week you finally showed up to tell him in person. 

You had a speech planned, but didn't even make it to thru the first sentence before his lips crashed into yours. It was dizzying for a moment but you pulled your senses together and backed away. 

Chase: "You still want to be with me. Just imagine what we could accomplish together."

You: "Is that what these texts are about? You want an ally?"

Chase: "I want you!"

You knew better than to stay and listen, so you'd rushed out of the office without another word and told no one. 

*END FLASHBACK*

You shook the memory out of your head but the view replacing it was even more shocking. Chase stood right in front of you, leaning against his desk, and staring into your eyes like you were all he ever wanted to see.

He pulled you close but just before his lips touched yours, you slapped him across the face. He grabbed your wrist, barely flinching as it made contact with his cheek.

Chase: *squeezing your wrist tighter to pull you even closer* 
"I don't care how many times you hit me, who your daddy is, or who you think you're with… you were always MINE."

A wave of warmth spread thru your chest as he snarled the word 'mine.' You knew better, but in that moment your body moved almost out of muscle memory as you pressed your lips to his. You tumbled onto the couch, landing in a pile of bare skin and longing. The regret that should ha e stopped you, was eagerly replaced by wanting to forget what you knew Vinnie was doing at that moment and curiosity about whether being with Chase again would feel different after all these years.