21- Coming Home

Back home your mom threw her arms around you and sobbed into your sweater:
"Mom, it's ok. I'm sorry if running away scared you. I know it was a dumb thing to do."

Mom: "I just don't understand why, sweetheart

Mom: "I just don't understand why, sweetheart. If you met someone and were happy I would have given it a chance. All I ever want is you to be happy."

You smiled at Vinnie then glared at your dad:
"I know, Mama but Dad just makes it hard to trust that sometimes."

Mom: "Sweetie, your dad always has the best of intentions but over my dead body would I ever let him drive you away."

Dad: *through gritted teeth*
"Heidi, I really think this is something we should talk about. We don't know anything about this boy."

You: "Mom, I need to talk to Dad alone."

Mom: *to Vinnie*
"Come with me sweetheart. You can help me make lunch before my other daughter and her boyfriend get home."

Vinnie followed your mom into the kitchen and you jerked around to see your dad fuming mad.

Dad: "You have another thing coming if you thin-"

You: *getting very close to his face*"I might be 17 and have another year under your thumb but Dixie is already 19 and we both know if I tell her what you did she will leave with Noah and you won't be able to stop her

"I might be 17 and have another year under your thumb but Dixie is already 19 and we both know if I tell her what you did she will leave with Noah and you won't be able to stop her."

Your dad started to object, but you interrupted to continue laying down what was going to happen:
"If you don't want to lose both daughters just accept that you can't win one for once."

Before your dad could respond with what looked like his urge to hit you, Dixie came running into the room and nearly knocked you over:
"Oh my God! Dummy, why did you run away? Don't you ever do that to me again!"

Before your dad could respond with what looked like his urge to hit you, Dixie came running into the room and nearly knocked you over:"Oh my God! Dummy, why did you run away? Don't you ever do that to me again!"

You glared at your dad over her shoulder while she squeezed you tight:
"I'm sorry, Dix. I just had some things to figure out but I promise I'll never leave you again."

Dixie: "That's right. It's you and me against the world, remember? Sorry Noah."

Noah just smiled. He was such a sweet guy that he never really took offense to anything anyway.

Your dad shook his head in defeat:
"I will go arrange things with Bryce but for now I don't want you to leave this house."

*VINNIE'S POV*

Vinnie was sitting on his brother's couch while he listed out the rules he was expected to follow:
"It's not like I'm a little kid. I'm 18 and I've been on my own for over a year."

Bryce: "This is a whole new world, little bro. I'm not trying to control you but you just need to hear me and stay out of trouble."

Vinnie: "You mean the trouble of your business with my girlfriend's dad?"

Bryce: "Another rule, no butting into the business. I don't want you having any part of that."

Vinnie: "Well what am I supposed to do for money in this town then?"

Bryce: "Try getting a real job."

*END VINNIE'S POV*

You were in your room getting dressed to go to the mall and finally replace your broken phone. Your mom was uneasy about letting you out of the house without one and today seemed like the perfect day to fix that since you were trying to let Vinnie and Bryce settle in. You were so excited to finally have your own wardrobe back that you probably spent double the usual time getting ready.

You were playing music and putting the finishing touches on your makeup when Dixie popped her head in:"Hey, what are you getting all dressed up for?"

"Hey, what are you getting all dressed up for?"

You: "I'm just headed to the mall, but I've been literally living in sweats for a month."

Dixie: *plopping on your bed and watching you finish*
"Fair enough. Can I come? I miss you and Noah is busy with his sisters tonight."

You walked around the mall looking at clothes and enjoying the sister time while you waited for the line to shorten at the phone store. Blake was much better at keeping his distance usually, but since you took off on him he was never more than a few feet away.

Dixie: "I don't know, you just seem different. This boy really did a number on you."

You: *getting defensive*
"I chose him and everything I did with him all on my own, ya know. He didn't do anything TO me."

Dixie: "Hey. I'm not Dad so put down the attitude. I wasn't implying he did anything wrong. I just meant that I like that he makes you happy."

You: "Sorry. I just don't like people assuming the worst in someone I love so much like they did with Ch-"

Dixie hung her head low not knowing what to say about the name you stopped yourself from saying:
"You can talk about him, you know. If you ever want to."

You kept looking through the clothes rack, trying to avoid the subject all together. You had only talked about Chase out loud twice since his funeral. Once with his mom when she gave you the ring you still wore on your finger. Once when you broke down and told Vinnie what happened to him.

It's not that you had forgotten him, you just knew you didn't need to keep breaking down about losing him in order to love him forever. You surprised even yourself when you blurted out:
"He's just a lot different than Chase. Chase was so gentle and sweet. He was so loving in the most pure way. But this boy? Just wow. I never knew it could be like this. It's so intense... still."

Dixie: "Well whoever this mystery boy is... it sounds like you're getting a taste of what it's like to fall in love as basically an adult. It's a different kind of love and that's what you need because there will never be another Chase."

Back home you were sitting at your desk and setting up your new phone. It wasn't hard because it was the same model as before but because the last one was beyond saving you had to start from scratch. Dixie was laying across your bed, munching on the candy she'd bought at the mall and laughing as you frustratingly tried to bypass the download blocker that your dad kept to make sure you didn't have any public social media.

Bryce: *peeking his head in the room*
"Hey, I had to drop some papers off to your dad and I'm about to head back home. You coming with?"

You nodded and slid the phone into your pocket as he disappeared back down the hall to wait.

Dixie: "Oh my God! Are you hooking up with Bryce? Is that what this was all about?"

You: "Wtf? No? It's actually his little brother, Vinnie."

Dixie: "Muscles has a little bro? Nice."