4) Quite Extraordinary

Duchess' POV

It was the morning after the ball, that I realised my heart would never be able to find love. Not truly. Not without my Father's blessing. Though I suppose that is what he meant when he told me love isn't explicable to people like us. It is what society thinks that is most important. Suppose I must take my mind away from my Father and proceed with today's activities.

Despite my pleas to Lilly, I was told that I must let all eligible suitors in. It is the first day of match making if you wish. When all those with a slight interest in you, your dowry or your title come and greet you with presents, declaring protentional marriage proposals. Lilly informed me Lady Danbury would be waiting for me downstairs to ensure I am not left alone to fend off the unpleasing men.

Dressed for the occasion I made my way through to my coffee lounge. Memories of my Father and I swarmed my mind, he would sit on the white oak chair by the window constantly peeping out at our neighbours, watching the way people worked and the routines people kept. Indeed, my Father and I didn't always see eye to eye, but he always had my best interest somewhat close to his heart.

Shaking off my Father, I sat in the white oak framed chair awaiting the arrival of my suitors.

"I see you have finally awoken Annabelle."

"Oh Lady Danbury, I see you have blessed me with your presence once more." Slight sarcasm noted in my voice.

"Think of me merely as a chaperone, for I hope you do not find yourself in any uncomfortable situations."

"Suppose I am grateful for your presence." I smiled cheekily at her before one of my workers announced the arrival of a 'Lord Bashmere'.

"Your Grace" Lord Bashmere gave a gentle bow.

"Lord Bashmere" I extended my hand as he gave my glove a soft kiss.

"Might I be forward with you. I have brought a gift, one unlike many others you shall receive today. For I consider myself quite the poet." With that said, Lord Bashmere informally took a seat on the floor in front of me and began his performance.

'For Annabelle I am seeking thee,

I wish to put a ring on she,

for so many nights I have longed for light,

Yet here you are right in front of me...'

Forgive me if this is politically incorrect but I don't wish to marry a man who is to sit on a floor beneath me. A man with at least a little more masculinity would be an improvement.

'That is why I ask to marry thee,

Your Grace, will you accept my offer and wed me?'

Glancing over at Lady Danbury, I could see a slight snigger on her face behind her fan.

"I do beg your pardon my lord, however I will have to decline for the sheer fact that I am not a fan of poetry." My best smile was written on my face with my teeth gritting behind my lips to stop my laughter.

"Understood your Grace." Lord Bashmere took a bow before leaving the house.

It seems that this is going to be a long day.

Suitor after suitor came through my family home doors. How am I to make a choice. Not all suitors have been terrible. Just not anyone I see myself marrying.

"Lady Danbury, if you don't mind I'll see one more before calling it a day. I would like to promenade for a short while after. I feel my mind and voice deserve a rest." My eyes plead to Lady Danbury.

Indeed, Lady Danbury can be firm when needed but deep down I am so grateful to have her in my life. I would be lost without her wisdom, especially in these circumstances.

"Of course, It seems the best was saved for last anyway." Lady Danbury smiled before resuming her place in the corner of the room.

"Your Grace."

My eyes wandered over to the door where a young Bridgerton boy stood. Trying to fight back my delight at the sight I smiled politely.

"Mr Bridgerton. Such a pleasure. Do tell me, how are your family?" Seems I have a slight butterfly in my stomach.

"Quite well, Eloise was much more content this morning after a nights sleep." Colin replied.

"Very good. And yourself? Are you well this morning?" My questions came our far more eager than I had hoped.

"I believe I should be the one to ask you that. Have you recovered from all the dancing? I had thought of you last night, hoped you had got home safe. I hope I am not over stepping by saying that." Colin looked a little flustered after his sweet intentions.

"I fear I have recovered from one extravaganza but I have been thrown into another. Today it appears I have had it all, from poetry to puppies. Yet I find myself more interested in you, Mr Bridgerton." Daringly I opened up slightly.

"Your Grace, may I speak openly?" Colin's eyes shifted between myself and Lady Danbury who acted as though she couldn't hear what was being said.

"Of course, please do sit down." I gestured towards the larger seat in front of me. Curious as to what choice of words was to come from his lips

"You see, your Grace. I find you quite extraordinary. You bare a weight of great amount on your shoulder but you walk with ease, a lady. A woman who seems to know what it is she seeks. I find it intriguing that you don't wish to settle for just anyone. I apologise if I am out of line, it just seems as though there is more to you than meets the eye, I wish to get to know you further." A slight gulp was in Mr Bridgertons throat.

As my heart felt as though it was to beat through my chest, Lady Danbury spoke up.

"Your Grace, it appears it is time for your promenade. Do you care to join us Mr Bridgerton?" I made a silent note to thank Lady Danbury later.

It seems Lady Danbury knows of my feelings before even I do.

"Only if you agree your Grace?"

"I don't see why not." A soft smile planted across my face.

Was love possible after all?