33} Is it over?

----- Third Person -----
The Duchess had awoke that morning pain free. As though the pain she had felt the night before was none existent. Relieved and overjoyed the Duchess wasn't about to let anything bring her down. It was nine-thirty am when she heard the front door open. She rushed across the drawing room to where the noise came from, finding her husband and Anthony. Tired eyes, yet a simple look on their face.

"Well, is it over?" Annabelle anticipated.

"Yes my love." Colin took three long strides to his wife. Engulfing her in the warmest embrace they had both felt. Annabelle felt the relief almost instantly lift off her chest. Realising how truly weighed down she had felt for so long.

"Oh Colin, I can't believe it. Thank you! And to you too Viscount. I am ever so grateful." Annabelle even left Colin's arms to embrace the Viscount.
Though started by the action, the Viscount chose to lightly wrap his arms round the petite woman.

"Anything for family. Now if you do excuse me. I have some sleep to catch up on. Do take it easy Duchess." Anthony stepped away.

"Oh my dear, you must be exhausted. Please do rest." The Duchess spoke to her husband.

But Colin didn't want to rest. Nothing made him happier than seeing the stress free woman before him. Noticing how her eyes seemed to sparkle once more, how she carried herself - radiant as ever.

"But how could I possibly rest now? I promised you we would promenade. So that is what we shall do. A day together. Just the two of us." Overjoyed by the statement from her husband. The Duchess nodded with excitement.

"Now what is it you would like, horse ride? Carriage? Or simply a nice walk?" Colin was full of it today.

Little did he know that the Duchess was equally as relived by the smile that had now returned to his face. The way his body language had returned. This couple was nothing below high in power. They both simply just needed each other.

Deciding on a walk along the streets of Mayfair, Colin helped his wife don a lightweight outdoor robe to keep her warm in the cool summer weather. The relief ever so evident in the couple as they flaunt their happy smiles along the streets. The Duchess' face seemed to be almost completely free of any bruising that once lay on her smooth pale skin. Nothing could bring their mood down. 

"What do you think of Harriet for a girl?" Colin grinned.

"Please tell me you are joking?" The look of distaste on Annabelle's face said it all. 

"Okay well, how about Freddie for a boy?" He seemed more hopeful with this name. 

"Wow. Colin, that's actually not an awful name." Annabelle giggled as she teased her husband. 

They both really had missed this.

"Can you believe how little time we have left as just the two of us? It seems to have gone so quick, don't you think?" Annabelle spoke in disbelief. 

"I must agree with you on that one. It feels like it hasn't been a minute since you told me." Colin took a breath remembering the way he found out his wife was pregnant, after the attack. "I promise you it is over now my love. No need for anymore worry. We have just got to hope for good health for yourself and our unborn babe." 

Colin stopped in the midst of conversation and took hold of both the Duchess' hands. Staring into the centre of her soul. 

"I love you and I am so proud of you and us and how we have managed to fight and get through every obstacle. Lord knows their has been a few. Mark my words, we will be happy again." 

Annabelle removed her hand and placed it on her husbands cheek. Rubbing her thumb over her husbands stubble.

"You're my world. I hope you see that. My love."

--------------------------

A week later and Annabelle Bridgerton was no longer the talk of the ton. Her health had improved and baby Bridgerton was cooking nicely. It was a Saturday afternoon and Colin had been persuaded by his wife to take the afternoon with his brothers and Simon for a drink at there club. For who knows how long it will be before he finds the time to do it again. Whilst the gentlemen are at the club, the ladies are having afternoon tea in the Bridgerton gardens. 

"So tell me Annabelle, how are you feeling about child birth?" Daphne asked.

"Oh dear, do not be so disrespectful, you do not have to answer that Annabelle." Violet spoke softly, looking ashamed at her daughters words. 

"You need not worry Violet. I do believe Daphne only means well. I do think I am more than capable, just worried I may struggle with the pain." Annabelle spoke truthfully. 

"Well from my experience, screaming or biting a cloth rather helped me. Although once you have that little baby in your arms, skin on skin. You feel no more pain and you have a new pain. Well a headache to be precise. From that first scream until they marry and move out." Lady Bridgerton giggled towards the end of her sentence, sending eyes to Daphne. 

"Mama, how dare you." Daphne joked back. 

Annabelle giggled at the mother and daughter duo. Wondering what advice her own mother would give her. Not that her mother had any parenting experience as she died at child birth. This thought only made her more nervous. The other two Bridgerton ladies must have noticed. 

"Are you thinking about your Mother?" Violet spoke. 

"Yes, sorry to dampen the mood. I just hope I get to spend even just a day with my baby. For I know the lonesome feeling being motherless brings. Oh, why can't we all just be born men. How simple life would be. No childbirth, no pressure. Simply just live for each day as it is." 

"Well, I must admit. That does sound appealing. But they do not get to dress as we do. And we do dress rather beautifully in our gowns." Violet spoke. 

"Yes I suppose I would miss the dresses. Anyway, how drunk do we think the gentlemen will be once they return from there club?" Annabelle tried to bring the mood back up.

"Well Anthony and Benedict will definitely be legless. But I ought to think Simon and Colin will return with their heads in check. Or at least that is what I hope for the sake of you ladies." Violet spoke once again.

"Mama, what has gotten into you. You are speaking as though you are, well. I don't even know the word. But you're being rather cheeky." Daphne covered her mouth as she lightly shuck her head with a giggle. "Never the less, I believe you are correct."