10) To The Future (Part 2)

Duchess' POV

The ball was over crowded and full of merry couples, dancing their night away. Colin and I however sat alone at a table on the side of the floor. The string quartet playing ever so futuristic songs. We hadn't spoke in the latter ten minutes.

"Is something on your mind Mr Bridgerton?" I spoke just above the music level.

~~~~~~~~~

Earlier that day

Colin Bridgerton's POV

I had been riding with my brother when Anthony got distracted by some local women, I carried on further into the park. When a ragged looking man ran out in front of my horse. He had light brown hair and fearsome eyes. I wouldn't have thought twice about leaving him hadn't I seen the scar he possessed along his neck. For this man wasn't here by mistake. This was Lord Westington.

I dismounted and took the reigns in my hand firmly.

"You have some nerve showing your face here." I spoke with gritted teeth.

"Ah, Mr Bridgerton. The last time I saw you, you were merely a boy." The Lord tried to be somewhat friendly with me.

"Don't try to patronise me."

"I beg your pardon." Lord Westington seemed shocked.

"Acting all innocent as if you have no intentions to marry the Duchess of York." I stepped further towards the foul man.

"I don't believe that is of any of your concern for it is my engagement."

"I believe it is very much my concern, as it is my families concern and the Duke and Duchess of Hasting's concern. You have angered a lot of people Westington. I suggest you pack up and fuck off." The words spat out my mouth.

"My word if it isn't Lord Westington." Anthony slowly came up behind me.

"Viscount." Lord Westington didn't seem so cocky anymore.

"Might I remind you that you are now in London and that you very much do not belong here." Anthony's firm words seemed to do nothing but anger the Lord.

"I was promised the Duchess. I am not leaving without her."

"You will go nowhere near her." Lord Westington had lit a fire inside me.

His eyes seemed to light up.

"You have feelings for her, don't you boy. I'll go for now. But do remember Mr Bridgerton I won't leave until I have her by my side. Then in my bed." He slightly cackled at his last statement before he continued running away.

-- At the Bridgerton House Hold--

"Anthony, I must propose tonight and make it public." I blurted out after learning that Lord Westington was indeed the man who had knocked Annabelle to the floor leaving her injured. Of course Annabelle was still yet to learn this news, however, I do not want to scare her. So for now I shall keep this information strictly between Anthony and myself.

"I understand your urgency brother, but I can't see you get hurt either. Are you sure this is your wish. To marry so soon, to a woman who you don't know too well?" Anthony sat behind our late Father's desk his hands placed together.

"I want nothing more than to have her as part of our family. To call her my wife and to become the next Duke of York. I wish to keep her safe and stay by her side through sickness and in health" Sure I don't really care for titles, and becoming a Duke is most definitely not my priority but gosh, I would become a peasant for that girl.

"And you are sure that she is not another Marina?"

"Brother, I assure you she is nothing like Marina. This lady is honest and deserves better than Lord Westington." I pleaded.

"Very well. Colin, you have my blessing."

~~~~~~

Duchess' POV (Present moment)#

"Colin?"

"I do apologise Lady Annabelle. I have a lot on my mind you see." Colin broke into a confusing smile.

"I see, and your smiling why exactly?"

"You shall see in good time. How about a stroll into the garden. We won't be alone, my family and many others are out there." Colin took my hand helping me up from my seat.

The sudden pressure on my foot caused me to flinch slightly.

"Your foot, I do apologise, your Grace. If I wasn't so desperate for some fresh air ad your company I would stay seated with you." His sentences no longer making sense to me.

"Colin what is going on?" Something was wrong.

"Nothing, come on. I can see Simon and Daphne down there by the band stand."

"But what an earth are they doing down there?" By this time Colin had raced ahead of me towards his brothers.

"Men." I slightly muttered under my breath.

As I continued to hobble over to the band stand I started to notice how beautifully it had been set up. The most fantastic warm white candles surrounded by musicians playing in tune with one another. I hadn't known of many events that had been this well thought out. Getting closer to the bandstand my view became more clear. Lady Bridgerton, Viscount Bridgerton, Benedict and Eloise on one side of the stair case leading towards the sheltered area and Simon and Daphne stood on the other. With Colin standing so perfectly in the centre stage.

"What's going on?" I barely managed to get out as I took Colin's hand to help me up the couple of steps.

"Please sit." He gestured to the red velvet chair placed ever so strategically to the small of carpet that had someone been put outside.

Colin took to one knee beside me.

"I know this may not be tradition. This may not be what we where expecting, I know I didn't. When I first met you, I saw this beautiful well put together lady, who knew what she wanted or shall I say needed. I felt to inferior to you, for I felt I couldn't ever possibly know what I wanted or needed or make decisions that could benefit everyone but myself. Yet now I find myself completely charmed by you. I want to only spend everyday of the rest of my life by your side. Whether that may be in the countryside of York, or travelling through parts of Europe neither of us have been to. I want to do that with you. I never want you to fear that you will be alone for I will be there, I will protect you and cherish you. Although I know you are a woman with your own mind, one who doesn't always need protection at the very least from a man. Annabelle, I have fallen well and truly in love with you. Will you marry me?"