12) Lady Danbury's Return

Duchess' POV

Dressed and ready for the day, I couldn't stop thinking about last night. The effort and thought that went into such a proposal. Never would I have imagined that I would be able to marry someone whom I feel for, indeed one who feels for me also. My luck was changing, it seemed I was allowed to be happy after all. Thinking back to when Colin told me that Simon will be tutoring him to prepare for the life of a Duke; nothing was more attractive to me. Colin will make a great Duke, a man of the people.

Once again I found myself in my carriage, sometimes I feel this is where I spend most my time. I took in the scenery around me, feeling flushed with feelings. London truly could be beautiful when given the time to notice. Some buildings considerably taller than others, windows leading to antique houses, truly beautiful. The exterior of every house so completely different. Who wouldn't want to be here.

"We've arrived your Grace."

Stepping out into London society was becoming the new norm. What wasn't the new norm, well at least not yet was stepping out and being greeted by my fiancé. I blushed at my thoughts, having a fiancé seemed wildly unbelievable, but yet it was the truth.

"Good Morning, Mr Bridgerton."

"Good Morning, your Grace" Colin slightly dipped his head.

"I must say, I can't wait for the day when you and I can drop these formalities and start calling each other by our first names, I know we have done it a few times when we are not in public but I fear we will be frowned upon"

"I feel the same way, I look forward to the day we are able to just be ourselves, but for now we shall play for society, Shall we?" Colin agreed with me but found some humour in our current roles.

With intertwined arms we made our way into the gallery.

Some of the most exquisite painting was displayed upon these walls, a popular Mr Waterstone one of London's most thought of artists uses this space to show case his work. Though I may have never been one for admiration upon art, I ought to try and enjoy some time with Colin.

As soon as we made our way to the first room Colin excused himself claiming he had seen an old friend. Unfortunately for me that left me alone, aimlessly glancing at art work that I just didn't find interesting in the slightest.

"Your Grace" A familiar feminine voice could be heard from behind me.

"Lady Danbury, you've returned."

"You knew about my absence?" Lady Danbury seemed confused.

"Suppose I had noticed you didn't make it to my proposal, or to the ball before that. Why have you been far?" Curiosity caused me to ask.

"Oh yes, I must congratulate you. Yet I knew Colin was for you from the beginning. I have merely been away for a week, just on business."

"I see, well I am glad to see you are back, I dare say I will enjoy your company and strong opinions when it comes to wedding planning. I have arranged to meet Lady Bridgerton tomorrow to start the preparation. You are more than welcome to join." At least Lady Danbury would be brutally honest with her words.

"I shall have to check my schedule but I am sure I can make an appearance. How are you finding engaged life?"

"Well, I could have never imagined I would be so happy and not so reluctant to spend time with the man I shall marry, I really am enjoying myself." A grin formed on my lips at the thought of Colin.

How did I get so lucky.

"I see you are quite taken by the Bridgerton." Lady Danbury made a graceful exit in conversation as she made her way over to other members of the ton.

Feeling bored once more I ventured further into the gallery. Noticing Colin in the corner speaking to a man who has his back to me. With confidence I made my way over to them.

"There you are, I've been waiting on you." I smiled.

"You have? I do apologise. I was just speaking to Sir Downforth, he is a thought of portrait painter. I was seeing what his plans where for the end of the season. Sir Downforth, this is my fiancé The Duchess of York."

"Your Grace." He bowed," Congratulations on your engagement, I must say I very much look forward to painting both yourself and Mr Bridgerton."

"I do feel guilty, I have never heard of your work." I apologised slightly embarrassed that I had never heard of the man.

"Well that is because he usually works over seas." Colin spoke rather quickly making me slightly question his manner.

"I see."

"Well, if that is all Mr Bridgerton, your Grace, I shall be on my way. For I need to make my rounds." Sir Downforth left us.

"I believe you have just lied to me." I turned to him with a slight cold look on my face.

"I see you know quite well, your Grace. I do not wish to lie to you, only for it's in your best interest-"

"My best interest caused you to lie to me? Believe maybe I have made a mistake with my judgements. You have two options, you can tell me who that man was or I leave right now." Little over dramatic, yes I guess I am. However, why would he find himself needing to lie over such a prospect.

"I will tell you, please just lets go to a less busy room."

Nodding, I followed him to the original room we arrived in.

"I had an encounter with Lord Westington before I proposed to you, I had hoped that we would be married before I confessed to such an unfortunate event. However, I see now I don't have a choice. The man you just met is an old friend of my family. Anthony got in touch and he owes us a few favours. His line of work is in the army, a quite high up role I believe. He is currently on annual leave so I asked him to do some investigating on Lord Westingon's whereabouts. For I would rather like him as far away from you as possible." Colin spoke, reluctantly.

"So you have hired a man to find Lord Westington. He's not a hit man is he? I won't be involved in criminal activity of any sort."

"No, don't be so ridiculous. I would never, for I do not have such a heart. Having already warned him to stay away, I hope he listens."

"So, I must say I am quite attracted to the way you care so much, Colin."

"I see you have ditched the Bridgerton... I guess it is quiet in here. Annabelle."

Something about the way he said my name gave me shivers down my spine.

~~~~~~

Sorry for the delay!

I am aiming to update every Mon-Thur and then at least once over the weekend.

I'm curious to see if you have found any other Bridgerton books on here?

I am really enjoying 'The downfall of Viscount Bridgerton' by 'VRiviera' such a talented writer and really good at keeping the themes within the time.

K x