22) The Wedding Night

Duchess' POV

"Annabelle, darling. We are here." My eyes fluttered open.

Taking in my surroundings, I noticed we were still in the carriage.

I flushed red.

"I do apologise Colin. I never intended on falling asleep on you. You must think so poorly of me." I looked into his eyes. Trying to read what he was thinking.

"Don't apologise. You must have been tired. It has been a long day. I also suppose you will be needing some energy tonight." His sentence was spoken in all seriousness.

My eyes widened. He chuckled.

"Colin!" I shriek at his bold statement.

We made our way out the carriage and towards the front entrance.

"Forgive me, Annabelle." He chuckled some more before taking in his new surroundings.

"What are you thinking?" I asked returning to our serious tone.

"I am thinking we are going have a lot of children to fill these walls one day." Colin was flabbergasted at the size of my estate. More like a castle really.

"It is large, I must admit. Wait until you see the inside." Realising how much I had missed my home we made our way towards the steps leading up to the door.

At the bottom of the steps Mrs Michaelson stood, the rest of my workers behind her.

I had forgotten all about what Anna had told me until I saw Mrs Michaelson's face. I decided to leave that until I am to return to my duty.

"Welcome back your Grace, I can assure you that you have been missed dearly. And to you, the new Duke of York. Welcome Mr Colin Bridgerton." Mrs Michaelson spoke.

"Lovely to meet you, you must be Mrs Michaelson." Colin spoke ever so politely.

"Indeed your Grace. As you will see stood behind me to your right are your chiefs, general handymen and ground keeper Geoffrey. He will be your right hand man for anything you require on your exterior. As for myself I am in charge of all things interior. I am head of the ladies maids who you will find on your left. Additionally the Guards are managed by Geoffrey and myself. Anything you require please don't hesitate to ask." Mrs Michaelson explained plainly.

"I am assuming what I discussed in my letter has been arranged." Colin's words confused me.

"All has been taken care of your Grace."

I looked at the ladies maids behind her. Noticing Anna was missing.

"Mrs Michaelson, where is Anna?" I asked concerned.

"Don't worry dear she was just a temporary replacement. Lilly is back now."

"I beg your pardon, I hope these words you're speaking are a joke. I expect Anna to be back first thing tomorrow morning. And Lilly can be dealt with. Understood?"

My words clearly firm left her stunned in her place.

I grabbed Colin's hand leading him up the steps.

"Are you going to tell me what that was about?" Colin muttered going past the rest of our workers.

"I'll explain tomorrow. For now I just want to enjoy time with you." I smiled.

As we entered the front entrance the smell of fresh cut roses filled my nose, I blinked twice. The scene before me reminded me of the night Colin proposed. Across my foyer lay candles and rose petals leading towards my dual staircase.