18) To the Duke and Duchess

Duchess POV

A request for my presence at the Queen's palace was undoubtedly a strange way to continue with my day. Simon, Daphne, Anthony, Colin and I had been called upon for a dinner date. I am told we await a decision for our move up in marriage for we need the Queen's approval. Anthony being head of the Bridgerton household was of course expected to accompany Colin and me. It also appears that the Queen would like to meet with last year's diamond and the Duke. For they were the preferred of the season.

Lily still nowhere to be seen, Anna accompanied me in changing into a far more formal outfit to adhere to the Queen's expectations.

"How old are you Anna?" My curiosity for my maids might prove rather unusual, but I feel Anna is rather young, experience wise I feel she has no issues, yet this young girl before me should surely be elsewhere than working.

"I am sixteen your Grace." Anna spoke as she placed soft curls through my hair.

"You are sixteen and yet so truly talented but how? Might I ask you why you are here and working at such a young age?"

"My mother grew sick your Grace. When I was ten, I spent my days nursing her and that lead to plenty of practice in dressing, hair styling and make-up. As much as I tried to help her all I could she was truly unwell and passed away just six months ago. My Father is still unknown so after my Mother's death I found Miss Michaelson, she directed me here." Anna spoke softly. Clear that the hurt of her dear Mama was still so raw.

Miss Michaelson was the head of my ladies back home, for she oversees the running of my house whilst I am there and whilst I am away. She is very much a tough lady to understand for she is reserved and opinionated. All which make her so good at her job.

"I see, well I am very grateful to have you working for me. Your hard work has not gone unnoticed, I shall most definitely require your attendance when we go back home, regardless of if Lily is well again. Your story truly has inspired me."

My words brought a smile to Anna's face.

"You are most kind, your Grace. I believe we are all done here."

I looked in the mirror. The lady before me was nothing like the one I had seen before, not bruised of broken, but strong and empowered.

"Thank you." I left my room once more. It appears I am spending most my time confined in thee four walls recently.

My nerves apparent but my goal was clear. I wasn't leaving the palace without the ability to marry this weekend. 

Once downstairs I daringly walked straight into the room with eyes only on my man. With my presence known Colin stepped forth,

"You look beautiful my dear. Shall we?" Colin extended his hand awaiting my embrace. 

"We shall." Taking his hand we made it out to the courtyard to be enveloped with my carriage and guards. 

------

Unfortunately upon our arrival to the palace we were informed the Queen had been delayed due to some business with the King. This allowed time for nerves to set in as we sat awaiting our fate. 

Sparing my thoughts, Anthony cleared his throat. 

"I must admit all this waiting around seems rather unnecessary." Anthony posed. 

"Ah, but you forget Bridgerton it is the Queen we are waiting for. Not just usual company." Simon tried to joke. 

"Surely we won't be waiting much longer, I am famished." Daphne added to the conversation. 

"Oh how very lady like you are Daph." Anthony rolled his lies with a smile planted on his face. 

"Well I must admit I think we must all be getting hungry, for food, for answers. The anticipation is truly exasperating. Don't you think?" My words left a smile on all faces bar one. 

The Queen's guard. 

"I suppose you will be happy to know the Queen is waiting for you now. Your Grace." 

Flushed with embarrassment I nodded slightly before following him slowly down the grand hallway. 

I slightly nudged Colin. 

"You could have said something." 

"I believe you had that one covered my love." Colin slightly chuckled behind me. 

 -----

Dinner was going according to plan, however I did not expect the Queen to be focused so much on Daphne and Simon. I had hoped to discuss Colin and I, which is a much more pressing issue. To myself at least. 

The most exquisite of foods and favorable drinks were served before our very eyes. The Queen's chefs are definitely far more advanced than those of my Yorkshire manor. I must take note of such lavish cuisine. 

"I guess we shall bring up the matter at hand, dear children please do allow me to explain. For their shall be no need for presentations or pitches. I have been informed of your wishes to marry sooner rather than later. What appears in front of me is what I understand to be a true love match. A blossom of the finest prunus tree. I do believe your wish shall be considered granted. I am to have confidence in the couple before me. A toast to celebrate. To the future Duke and the most extraordinary Duchess." The Queen raised her glass to congratulate us both. 

Her powerful words brought happy tears to my eyes. 

"Thank you, your Grace. Our gratitude towards your choice is unconditional." Colin instantly replied. 

His eyes resting on mine as he to raised his glass to us and our prosperous future. 

-------

That evening was spent with laughter and celebrations among the rest of the adults at the Bridgerton household. Champaign was served and Colin and I began to mentally prepare ourselves for our future. 

Sat on the terrace we gazed at the stars. 

"We shall have six children." I giggled.

"Six children! My we must get started straight away." Colin chuckled. 

"Colin." I shrieked. "How truly inappropriate." I joked. 

"I can't wait to have you bare our children. That is no crime Annabelle." Colin spoke low with a smile plastered on his face. 

"No crime indeed, Colin" I looked at his eyes. 

His eyes, pure and full of life and love. How ever did I live without him. 

"What are you thinking about?" His hands brushed the fallen hair from my eyes. 

"Just how incredible this evening was. I am in disbelief this is real; the Queen actually allowed us to marry so soon. We are to be wed this time next week. You have already made me the happiest lady of the ton. I just hope I can make you as happy as you have me." 

"Don't you ever doubt your ability of my happiness. You have changed my outlook on life. I thought love was meaningless. For money, for title a business negotiation at that. You showed me what love is and I will forever be in debt to you for that. My happiness is uncontrollable. I love you." Colin's words moved me. 

"I love you too."