34} It's time

Third Person.

Annabelle had awoke in the middle of the night on May 8th. A foreign dampness between her legs and the sudden urge to scream. Colin woke to a fright. His wife screaming and clutching her bump as she begged him to help. Wishing nothing more than to take the pain away from his dear wife, he called for the doctor. 

The doctor arrived promptly in the early hours of the summer morning. In enough time for the birth of a beautiful baby Bridgerton. The Duchess was lay legs spread with her ladies maid by her side. Colin had been asked to leave the room as it is 'no place for a gentlemen'. Well other than the doctor. Although Annabelle was far from impressed. She used all the air from her lungs to try and keep Colin in the room. Even Colin had tried to stay as he saw the pain his wife was indulging in was far from what his wildest dreams could have imagined.

Colin eagerly sat with his brothers, Anthony and Benedict outside the room which held his wife. Blood curdling screams echoed through the door. 

"How much longer?" Colin shouted. 

"Colin, I don't often break protocol. But if that were my wife I would be kicking down that door." Anthony spoke to his brother.

Colin didn't even have to think. With his brothers permission, he pushed past the other spectators and threw the door open to see his wife lay still. The screaming had stopped and been replaced by tears. Tears which ran down her face, her jaw and onto the the newest addition of the Bridgerton family. 

Colin faltered at his feet. Immediately taking a space beside his wife. 

"A boy?" Colins words just above a whisper as he placed his arm around his wife and his thumb rubbed against the softness of his new born sons cheek.  

"Yes my love." Annabelle managed, still breathing heavy from the trauma of childbirth. 

"You did so well Annabelle. I wish I could have taken that pain away." Colin kissed his wife's glistening forehead.

"I know. It's okay." Annabelle was weak. 

Her pale skin looking worse than ever, Colin looked to the doctor. 

"It's not uncommon Mr Bridgerton, she has lost a lot of blood." The doctor could sense the question that pressed against Colin's lips, he looked panicked. 

"Uncommon? What is not uncommon?" Colin feared the worst. He needed to know what was happening and how he could control it. 

"She is not dying, she has just lost a lot of blood and her body is in a state of shock. She will be fine in a couple of hours. " The doctor looked bored. Like he had seen this one too many times. 

"So this is all normal?" Colin looked at the doctor. A knowing look on his face. 

"Well not exactly, she has lost more blood than we definitely would have liked. But I have seen this before. She will have made a recovery by this evening. Your Grace." The doctor seemed to show more sympathy this time. 

"Take your son, go and show him off." The doctor suggested as he carried on observing and applying pressure to Annabelle. 

"Very well." 

Colin grazed his hands across the the sweet baby boys furry face. So soft, so pure, so innocent. Colin felt love he had never known. A love as equally strong as his with Annabelle. All the drama, all the pain, every moment leading up to today has been nothing less than worth it. The journey to parent hood, to courting, to finding Annabelle. Everything he thought he knew about life. Everything changed the moment Colin Bridgerton set eyes on that baby.  He kissed the sweet boys head as he entered the hallway to be greeted by his brothers. Who were now joined by his sisters, his mother and of course the Duke and Duchess of Hastings. 

"We have a son." Colin spoke in disbelief.

The Bridgerton clan cooed and burst with joy. Violet immediately rushing to Colins side and asking of his wife's wellbeing.

"How is Annabelle?" Violet asked as she watched the little bundle in Colin's hands. 

"The doctor has said she will be recovered by this evening and that she is just in shock. I must admit I am worried about her. But now I find myself divided. For she is not the only being dependant upon me. Mother, I have a son." Colin whispered so the rest of the family would not hear him sounding so coy.

"Pass that angel here, you must go and aid your wife. I shall stay right here. You won't be long. I am sure all will be fine my darling." Violet picked up the baby who was still yet to be named and walked over to the rest of the family slowly. 

Colin took a deep breath as if he was expecting bad news. He hesitantly stepped away from his family and headed towards the love of his life.

Relief washed over his face.

Annabelle lay awake but looking somewhat frail. But awake. She was awake and that was all that mattered. 

"Is he okay?" Annabelle whispered as Colin knelt beside her. 

"He is fine, ten fingers, ten toes, two eyes and a cute button nose. But you my love, are you okay?" Colin placed his hand on her cheek and kissed her forehead. 

"I just feel rather fatigued, but so desperate to cuddle our baby. The doctor says I shall be fine in a couple of hours as the adrenaline of the birth will kick in. I did lose quite some blood though. So I suppose I should probably start to feel rather dizzy with any sudden movement." Annabelle whispered whilst nuzzling her head into Colin's hand. 

"If I may, you Graces, I had just hoped to congratulate you both. I shall stay for the next week to keep an eye on Mother and Baby. I believe the Physicians rooms are available. The bleeding has stopped and you should feel recovered soon. Just remain patient with yourself." The doctor left the room

"Thank you doctor, truly." Colin said as he saw him to the door. 

"What shall we do, would you rather rest or shall I go and get out baby boy." 

"I think you and I both know that you best get out of this room and get that boy and put him in my arms immediately" Annabelle spoke in all seriousness. Clearly she had been putting on a front for the doctor. 

Colin chuckled before leaving the room. 

Returning ever so promptly with the most precious gift of life. Annabelle's heart was complete.

--------

The first few days following the birth of the new born Bridgerton where spent in the confinement of there house in the middle of Mayfair ton. Colin Bridgerton had found his true love and Annabelle had found her true calling. There was not much more that either of them wanted nor needed. 

Life would never be as they once knew it. 

The Duke and Duchess of York. Mother and Father to Lord Alexander Bridgerton. 

With a plan to keep the alphabetic tradition in the family. For if they were to have more children they would surely be coming up with a name in which starts with B. However, for the time being let us allow the happy couple time to bond and celebrate the new life. 

The family of three took to the streets of Mayfair. Strolling through the park with the beauty in the stroller before them. Life couldn't have been any better. A moment of despair crept upon them as they noticed the paper boy making his rounds. But, rest assured it truly was only a moment. As Lady Whistledown had not written. In fact she had not written since before the birth of the Bridgerton boy. Some say she must have retired from her malicious ways. Whilst others say she is simply waiting until next season to shine some light on fresh members of the ton. 

The day was just as ordinary as any other. No drama, no fear, no deep breaths. Just ordinary. And that is all the Duke and Duchess had ever hoped for. A peaceful life in which they should only have to depend on one another.

Authors Note ---- 

There will be one more chapter after this and then that will be it for the Duchess of York. Thank you all so much for the support! I could never have imagined it would have blown up the way that it did.