7) A Long Morning

Duchess' POV

After an awful night sleep I woke up before Lilly managed to enter my room, I sat up straight in bed just staring into thin air. I have exactly 3 days to fall in love, or 3 days to just settle. To put things into perspective Lord Westington is a local from York City, he is known for gambling, drinking and his aggressive manner towards women. He may be a Lord but he is no man capable of running a city.

How my Father came to be mixed up in his games is beyond my comprehension. With such a busy day ahead of me I independently tried to get myself dressed, Lilly entering the very moment I attempt to put my corset on.

"You won't have much luck doing that yourself, your Grace." Lilly cracked a smile and began pulling the strings.

"Perfect timing Lilly."

"Your Grace, are you unwell?"

I shook my head vigorously. Confused at the statement.

"It appears you have lost weight, you must not be eating properly." The corset is pulled tighter as she finished her sentence.

"Really? It must be all the light meat I have been eating, for I am used to larger animals." I smiled, though I know I haven't been eating well. I can't with all the pressure and stress I am under.

Lilly continues to prepare me for my day as I start to dream again. Many thoughts appeared in my mind last night. Many about Colin, I realise how ludicrous it must sound, thoughts of a man after dark. Though his company is something I very much enjoy, he has a presence about him, one that makes me feel like home. Is this what love feels like? Is that the motion I am going though, I have all these questions yet no one to talk to. I would be lying if I was to say I hadn't thought about marrying Colin, however it is early days. I feel rushed but then I have to rush, I feel like this could be love eventually but then I need it now. My uncertainty is leaving me uneasy.

"Come, your Grace. Breakfast is waiting for you."

Sitting alone at such a grand table felt rather strange after last night. Being around the Bridgerton table made me envy each and every one of them. They all had something I have desired for so long. Siblings. I was lucky to have been given the life I live, but I would trade it in a heart beat if it meant I wasn't alone. The small talk and constant bickering, may seem like hell to some but to me its heart warming.

"Lady Delacroix is here to see you your Grace" One of my workers announced.

"Oh, do send her in Jerry." Jerry had worked for my Father for many years, after his death he felt as though he had lost a brother. I couldn't bare to see him leave so I gave him another role in my York castle.

"Your Grace." Lady Delacroix gave a curtsy as she made her way over to the dining table.

"I have your dress for tonight, I worked late last night so that it would be perfect for you. Shall I leave it on the table or in your foyer?"

"I can't thank you enough, Lady Delacroix. You never let me down. The table will work just fine, I will have someone take it to my room." Thankful for her hard work, I took a sip of water.

"Your Grace, I hope you don't mind me saying this, but have you read Lady Whistledown's latest piece?"

"I can't say I have, I tend to keep my eyes off those papers as all that woman does is put people down. If that should be all, I do have a busy day ahead of me."

Lady Delacroix took the hint and left. By all means I have read Lady Whistledown's work, I believe whoever she may be to a be a talented writer and a strong individual. That said I prefer to keep my mind clear of judgement to allow myself to make my own choices and for my own opinions.

"Lilly, I wish to promenade for a short while. Will you be joining me?" Fresh air always used to help me find peace when I am at home. I'm hoping the city might do the same. If I am lucky.

"Certainly your Grace. Allow me to go fetch some coats."

Hyde park is so beautiful this time of year. The way the bright blue sky brings out the green of the grass. The smell of fresh flowers is intoxicating. It really is breath taking. To take in more of the sight I took a seat upon a bench. Lilly of course sat beside me.

I watched happily married couples walk past, some with children while others were expecting. Did it really matter who I marry? Most certainly not Lord Westington but what of Colin? He most certainly is handsome, he is a great shooter, well travelled, great with children and above all great company. The ball tonight will be a splendid opportunity to unveil some more about him.

My morning seemed to last all day. With no sleep I knew the events of this evening would require more energy. Just as I stepped up off the bench a gentleman who was running bumped into me, knocking me to the ground.

He most certainly was no gentleman. I only caught a glance of his face before he darted further through the park. In that time I was being helped up by another man. Who turned out to be none other than Simon.

"Lady Annabelle, are you okay?" Concern was written all over the Duke's face.

"Yes Simon. I think so." That was before I stepped on my foot and yelped slightly from a sharp pain.