Chapter Twenty Nine

"Would everyone just sod off, please! For Merlin's sake!" Oliver called out to no one in particular as he shot up from his seat in their compartment on the Hogwarts Express

"Would everyone just sod off, please! For Merlin's sake!" Oliver called out to no one in particular as he shot up from his seat in their compartment on the Hogwarts Express. Moving closer to the door, he made sure to pull the blinds all the way down, preventing the prying eyes of those passing by from looking inside.

In the last week or so of the school year, Gwen and Oliver had both gotten seriously tired of all the looks they were getting. Ever since The Daily Prophet broke the news about Sirius Black and Nadia Volkov were now wanted by the Ministry for their crimes, an extensive list of them made public as well, the two siblings had been exposed to all kinds of looks. Whispers followed them wherever they went. It was safe to say they weren't liked among their fellow students.

In truth, Oliver didn't really care what people thought about him. He had his best friends, and he had them as partners to return the favour whenever someone said something bad. The favour being returned in the form of Dung Bombs of course. However, what he did mind was all the bad things people would say about his mum, about his family, and the way all the stares and gossip made Gwen feel. He didn't mind eyes on him, she did.

"I just wish they'd all stop. They don't know the story; they just know the stupid regurgitation from the Daily Prophet." Gwen grumbled with a frown, ignoring the sounds of snickering outside as the latest group peaking into the 'compartment of disgrace' scurried off after Oli's reaction.

"They'll all know soon enough, and then feel like the dumb idiots they are." Oliver sounded completely confident in that. He returned to his seat, casually throwing the arm around Gwen and leaning it against the back of their bench.

"Exactly, I'm sure it'll all get solved, sooner or later." Olivia spoke from the bench across from the duo, sending Gwen and Oli an optimistic smile.

"Yeah, I guess you're right." Gwen mumbled. Somehow, she wasn't able to muster up the same amount of hope as the two of them. After this whole year and everything that happened, Gwen was starting to think hoping was for suckers. She kept hoping everything would solve itself and be okay, and in the end... Well, it was worse than before in a way. Wanting to stop thinking about it all, Gwen decided to do something else.

"I'm going to get some rest, spent all of last night packing." She announced, leaning her head against Oliver's shoulder and closing her eyes before either Liv or Oliver could say anything else. Despite it being because of a need for distraction, Gwen actually was tired as she did spend her whole night going over the list she'd written out and making sure she packed everything and didn't forget something. She'd always found the packing the most exhausting thing about the travel between Hogwarts and home. And so soon enough, she felt herself drifting off as Oli and Liv whispered indistinguishable words in an attempt not to wake her up.

 And so soon enough, she felt herself drifting off as Oli and Liv whispered indistinguishable words in an attempt not to wake her up

By the time Oliver woke his sister up, announcing they'd reached King's Cross, the sight of their compartment had changed. Liv was gone, doing her rounds along the whole train as she said goodbye to various people; her friends from Gryffindor, Hannah and Susan, Cedric, Hope... And sometime while she slept, Fred, George and Lee had come in. Surprisingly enough, the foursome managed to stay quiet, something Gwen made sure to compliment them on.

And while when she first woke up, she seemed in a better spirit, that soon diminished once again as time came for them to walk off of their train. She was reminded that this would be the first year when she wouldn't see her mother's smiling face welcoming them back and pulling both her children into a suffocating hug as she raved on about both Gwen and Oliver growing too fast in their time away from home.

"It'll be okay, you'll see." Oliver whispered to his sister gently, taking her hand in his and starting to lead the way out of the train and through the reuniting crowds of families.

Sometimes, Gwen hated not being better at hiding and masking her emotions. Simply because, unlike her, Oliver could be so good at it at times. And she knew he was feeling the same things as her despite his happy face. She knew seeing all the children happily reuniting with their families hurt him as much as it did her. But ever since they learned about what happened, he'd been brave. And Gwen knew he was doing it for her. She wished he didn't feel like he had to, but even when she tried to say it, he reassured her that he was okay.

"They're over there." Gwen finally pointed out, being the first out of the two to spot Nicholas and Henry standing in the crowd, their own eyes searching through the faces. She nudged Oli in the right direction, this time being the one to take the lead as she moved through the people towards their fathers.

As soon as they spotted them, the two men headed over, meeting their children halfway. There were no real greetings spoken, instead they both hugged the kids tightly. Gwen found herself in Henry's arms as she returned the hug, holding on tightly and hiding her face in his chest as she ignored the looks and eyes turning towards them from all around.

"How are you feeling, sweetheart?" Henry asked quietly, while beside them, it was obvious Nicholas was doing the same with Oli. Gwen simply nodded her head, remaining in the hug for a couple of more moments before she switched with Oli.

"It's good to have you back. We missed you." Nicholas told his daughter, a small smile coming over his face as he felt her give him a little squeeze in response. Once both pairs pulled out of their hugs, Nicholas and Henry started to help gather their things, helping them carry it. But before they could move, Gwen spoke up, making them pause.

"Give me a minute?" She asked, receiving nods from all three before she walked off towards something she'd seen on the platform. Calling out as she rushed after the group walking away, it took a couple of tries before the person in question heard her calls and turned around.

"Hey, is everything okay Gwen?" Harry asked curiously, noticing her family wasn't far behind her as she took the last couple of steps towards him. She ignored the staring eyes of Harry's cousin, hearing Oli snicker behind her.

"I just wanted to tell you if you need anything during the summer, just send me an owl." She said with a smile before adding. "And if I get any word on... you know, I'll be sure to tell you."

"I'll do the same." He promised, making a sad smile come on to Gwen's face. It was obvious they were both hoping they'd write soon at least.

"I hope you have a good summer." Gwen said, sparing a small glare towards the Dursleys behind him. The sight made Harry chuckle before he whispered to her.

"I've already told them I have a godfather who escaped from wizard prison and he and my godmother are wanted criminals who like to check up on me. I think I'll have a splendid summer." His words made Gwen give out the biggest laugh she has in a whole week. "I'll see you in September, Gwen."

As the two said their goodbyes, Gwen turned back to her family and returned, taking one of her bags from Oli's extended hand. She nodded her head, signalling she was done and ready to go, prompting Nicholas to speak up.

"Come on, we should head home. There's someone waiting."