Chapter Twenty One

Gwen knew there was no point in spending all of her time wrecking her brain over everything that had happened and all the things that had been revealed since Christmas

Gwen knew there was no point in spending all of her time wrecking her brain over everything that had happened and all the things that had been revealed since Christmas. While both she and Oliver had concluded that, despite the wish to protect her mother's feelings, they needed to talk to her. They needed an explanation. But it wasn't a simple topic that could be discussed through a letter, they needed to do it face to face.

And so they were left with plenty of time to think of what they wanted to say and ask, Gwen spent a lot of the chances she got thinking about it. But she knew she couldn't place all of her focus on the troubles and secrets within her family. Not when there was a multitude of other things she had to worry about.

First and foremost being her O.W.L.s. In all the drama, it had completely slipped her mind how much studying she actually had to do. Even though their professors mentioned it enough to be considered broken records. She had completely focused on trying to make out what would be best for the people around her and how to ease the tensions that had enveloped them that she didn't dedicate enough time to her school work.

However, on that particular afternoon, she decided to change that. Which is why the dark haired Hufflepuff could be found sitting at one of the otherwise unoccupied desks within the Hogwarts Library. Books were spread out all across the surface of the table. Some closed and waiting their turn while Gwen focused on one particular subject, some open in front of her as she took notes and wrote down all the things she needed to memorise and understand for her exams.

Currently she was focused on the Locomotor Charm as it was one she continuously managed to mess up. While she could levitate and direct one or two objects, whenever there were more, she seemed to drop something. It was quite bad when she tried levitating a set of books back in her dorm room and they ended up crashing onto her sleeping dorm mate.

Abigail was most certainly not pleased, but once Gwen promised to buy her some Cauldron Cakes when they went to Hogsmeade next, all was well once again. Abby even offered to help Gwen master the spell, but no matter how many times they tried, everything kept crashing to the floor. At a certain point, her other two dorm mates, Maya and Caitlyn, begged them to stop, fearing that soon one of them may end up having a concussion.

While Gwen didn't expect ultimate perfection from herself at most times, when she knew her grade might depend on a spell she couldn't perform, she panicked. That grade could determine which classes she would take on the N.E.W.T. levels for the following two years. And those classes would then determine what kinds of jobs she could get in the future. And she didn't know what she even wanted to do when she left Hogwarts. How could she then decide which subjects to focus on the most?

She couldn't control the groan that left her mouth as she slammed her head on top of the table, her nose planting itself right in the middle of the book. She took a moment to enjoy the beautiful smell of a book, but even that small joy was interrupted as she heard a sharp shushing sound nearby. She didn't have to look up to know it was Madam Pince, glaring at her with the power to kill even the fiercest of adversaries.