Chapter Thirteen

Gwen let her hands run down the spines of the books as she searched for the title which she needed for her Transfiguration homework

Gwen let her hands run down the spines of the books as she searched for the title which she needed for her Transfiguration homework. They were supposed to write an essay on the charm for conjuring inanimate objects. Knowing it is a tough spell, Gwen wanted to be as ready as she could be for when they moved on to actually performing the spell and covering the practical parts of the lesson.

Finally, her eyes caught sight of the dark blue leather book, the title spelled in gold easily spotted once she reached the shelf which it was on. Gwen pulled out the book with a proud smile on her face, turning around so she could take a seat at one of the tables. However, a figure standing in her way made Gwen let out a small yelp of surprise, almost dropping the book from her hands because of the shock. From somewhere within the library, a sharp shush came from Madam Pince, and if Gwen didn't know it would agitate the woman even further, she would have called out an apology. Instead, she sent a curious look to the person standing in front of her.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you." Harry said with an apologetic smile on his face, obviously slightly awkward as he spoke to her. While they, of course, knew each other and have spoken a couple of times throughout the time Harry's been at Hogwarts, they weren't that close and he was slightly hesitant in seeking her out. But his curiosity had won over.

"It's alright Harry." Gwen said, her kind tone and the small smile on her lips reassuring Harry that she didn't mind too much. However she was curious as to why he approached her. "Can I help you with anything?"

"Well, I wanted to talk to you about something."

"Of course, do you mind if we take a seat?" She asked, pointing to one of the unoccupied desks and once Harry nodded his head, the two made their way over. Gwen set the blue transfiguration book down on the table, and took a seat in one of the chairs while Harry opted for the one opposing her. "So what did you want to talk about?"

"Well, as you may know I can't go to Hogsmeade." Harry started off and Gwen nodded her head in confirmation. She did know. "This weekend, I spent that time with Professor Lupin instead." He continued on into the story, the mention of her uncle bringing a smile to her face.

"That seems like the greatest substitute you could ever get." Gwen said making Harry smile too, because in his opinion, she was right about that.

"We got to talking about some things, and he told me he was close with my mum. And I know yours and Oliver's parents have been friends with him for a long time, so... Well I was wondering whether... Maybe-" Harry slightly stumbled over his words unsure of how to really ask the question, but Gwen could understand it all the same.

"Whether they could have known your parents too?" She asked for him, a knowing smile on her face. Relieved that she understood, Harry nodded his head, unable to hide the small spark of hope which appeared in his eyes. But Gwen sadly didn't have the information he wanted. "I'm sorry Harry, but to be honest, I don't know. If they did know your parents, they've never mentioned them around me." She said in a sad voice, knowing that it must be disappointing to hear.