Chapter Forty Four

Gwen found herself moving through the aisles of the library, a specific table in mind as she struggled to balance all the books she was carrying around in her hands

Gwen found herself moving through the aisles of the library, a specific table in mind as she struggled to balance all the books she was carrying around in her hands. The stack was so high it somewhat obscured her vision. That was the reason that, when she slammed them on the surface of the table, a quieter way rather impossible in the moment, she didn't even notice someone already occupying it until he jumped into the air in surprise.

"Oh Merlin, I'm so sorry. I didn't see you." Gwen was quick to start apologising to the boy, setting the books around so she could properly see him over the stack. He on the other hand eyed it with a very shocked expression on his face.

"Electricity spells? Multiplication spells? Chain reaction spells?" He looked at some of the titles and covers, sending her a questioning look as he struggled to understand the need for so much literature. "If this is what sixth year looks like, I think I might have to drop out."

"No dropping out, mister. Nadia and Sirius would kill me." Gwen was quick to scold Harry for simply putting the thought out there as she took a seat at the table across from him. "And this isn't for school. It's just a personal project I'm working on." She added in a reassuring voice, although... sometimes her O.W.L.s stacks had been just as high last year. She didn't mention that.

"Do I want to know?" Harry asked, the dubious look on his face making it clear that he suspected the answer might be no. And it was. At least until Gwen was sure she could make the project a success.

"So, what brings you to this corner of the library?" Gwen asked curiously, changing the subject as she began to open up some of her books while simultaneously checking the ones Harry had been using himself. It wasn't long before she recognized them. "Hiding out, huh?"

"The glaring and staring got to be a bit much." Harry said honestly, making the Hufflepuff send him a sympathetic look. "And the interviewer from today... She asked a question that had me thinking about my parents."

"What the hell did she say?" Gwen's sympathetic expression soon turned into an annoyed glare as she knew very well which interviewer he was talking about.

"She asked what I think they'd think of me... If they'd be worried about my pathological need for attention or desperate suicide mission." Harry shared with a small sigh, looking up from the yearbook in front of him to catch the look of anger on Gwen's face which quickly made him regret saying anything.

"She's a blasted idiot. You know that as well as I do." Gwen pointed out, her tone growing softer as she continued. "And they'd be proud of you." She added, making Harry send her a somewhat questioning look. "Any parent would. You're a good person, who's doing great in his studies; you've done so much to help people in this school already, and you seem to be following in your father's troublemaking ways based on the stories I've heard over the summer."

The last addition made Harry let out a small laugh of amusement. He'd heard the same stories from Remus last year. Stories about how his father liked mischief and the occasional mayhem. "Thanks, Gwen." He sent the older girl a small smile, one that she happily returned.